Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2024, 07:26 AM

Default 2020.12

Yes, I would like to add delay and reverb 2 my vocal tracks. I've chosen them for the actual tracks but the effects will not play. Please help, aid and advise on how to make this a reality on my projects.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:29 AM

Default Re: 2020.12

Hi, welcome to the community.

What exactly have you done? Put a plugin to track insert or set up an aux track for effect?
Old 03-04-2024, 09:54 AM

yes, all I've done is insert and the vocals won't change - what else must I do? the inserts and sends have effects on them but they're not changing - when it comes to aux, I'm lost
Old 03-04-2024, 11:52 AM

Nobody here can follow your description, audio track or aux? what is the send doing? what is feeding what etc. we have no useful clue what you are doing.

Are these audio tracks you have already recorded and you are listening to in playback?

Or are you talking about hearing plugin effects while tracking/recording to these track? (If so and you have hardware monitoring in use, and are likely listening to that not the track in Pro Tools).

Start simple, create a new totally empty session add just a mono audio track. No aux and no sends. Do plugin inserts on that audio track work? Test with inserts that are super obvious, like a guitar distortion pedal plugin cranked up.

You insert a plugin on an audio track and it normally just works, as long as the plugin is not bypassed or deactivated. You can look those terms up in the Pro Tools Reference Guide. Other issues can be things like you have similar tracks that are being routed to the outputs you are listening to and you are putting plugins on tracks not going to those outputs, or going to them at low levels.

This is likely something pretty basic you are doing wrong and DUC is not really the place to get basic hand holding, if the above does not get you going it's better for you to find some good tutorials on YouTube or Groove 3. Find stuff there about working with plugins/inserts and actually complete the tutorial they are showing. This is often much faster than asking questions here, and you'll learn more... the stuff you don't even know to ask about now that can bite you later.

If things don't work as expected then come back and give a link to what tutorial you are following and explain exactly what does not work as expected.

If things seem all screwed up and not working as you follow the tutorial instructions start at troubleshooting under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page, especially try trashing prefs. But that is unlikely to be the issue.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:39 PM

More to consider:
1-what exact plugins and how are they licensed? Sometimes unauthorized plugins simply don't pass audio.
2-could it be as simple as the plugin's mix control being set to 100% dry(no effect)?

Here's my method for adding reverb and/or delay to a vocal track:
A-On the vocal track, click to add a send and select New Track(the popup window will default to creating a stereo aux track, which is fine). When the send fader appears on the screen, drag the slider up to -0(assuming its all the way down by default, which you can choose). You can relabel the send and the aux track to reflect what it is for(such as "VocVrb" or VocDly")
B-On this new aux track, insert a reverb plugin. When the plugin opens on the screen, make sure the MIX control is set to 100% wet. Now you SHOULD hear the vocal WITH reverb, and you control the amount of reverb by adjusting the aux track fader.
C-repeat the above and add a delay plugin in the same manor.

Most of us(at least us old-school types) usually put reverb and delay plugins on aux tracks and use sends to feed vocals(or whatever) to those aux tracks. Besides, if you have, say 6 tracks of vocals, using a single reverb plugin(on an aux track) is way more efficient than using 6 reverb plugins on those 6 vocal tracks.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-05-2024, 07:34 AM

this is what I've done so far in the pic. Yall lose me when u say aux and other tracks. I "think" I've done this b4 but just going to the top and adding the effect but this doesn't seem to b working now. Thanks all of u that r helping with this.

I also want to trun up the highs on my cymbals. How to I do that too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro tools.jpg (43.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-05-2024, 10:23 AM

If you've got 'Low Latency Monitoring' enabled (under Options) then the plugins get bypassed on a record enabled track. If this is the case, and you want to record with the inserts on, then turn off 'Low Latency Monitoring'.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:13 PM

this is a pic from my options menu -

all I want to do it add delay to the sax and lead vocals - perhaps ome other effects to the back ground vocals depending on the mix - please help, aid and advise - I'vve turned on the sends and inserts but the vocals won't play the effects - I've reorded them n2 the mix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg options.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:35 PM

You need to work on clearly answering questions and following instructions.

I've described what to do.

A. Start simple and learn how to use plugins with a one audio track session. And I specifically pointed out no sends and no aux, and here you are adding a send. Why?

We cannot guess where you have that send going. Whether you have this problem when tracking or on playback, your screenshots show no track I/O assignments, we cannot see any of the signal routing, we have no idea what interface you are using etc. etc. etc. etc. There are too many things you can possibly be doing wrong to play a game of 20,000 questions here, especially when you are not answering questions asked.

B. The other suggestion was to find some basic introductory Pro Tools tutorials on YouTube or Groove 3 on Pro Tools and follow them exactly to learn how to do this. This should take some tens of minutes and have you sorted out, much faster than the days long turnaround here.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:50 PM

OTOH...

Pro Tools UI possible GUI customization make things a little hard to see in screenshots. What state is that plugin in you have in the insert? Click on the plugin rectangle (the center of the plugin rectangle area) in inserts so the plugin GUI opens. Does it say the plugin is Inactive? or is the Bypass button lit?

If it is inactive CTRL-Command-click on the plugin in the insert section to make it active. If it's bypassed click on the bypass button in the plugin GUI window.

If that is not it then try what I talk about above.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-06-2024 at 02:47 PM.