Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Default Ableton Live as MIDI Sequencer Only to control outboard

Can you SLAVE ableton live to Beat Clock only (NOT MTC or MMC), via Yamaha RM1x?

Can I transmit PG (0-127), LSB (0-63)/MSB (0-63) from my host Sequencer (RM1x) to ableton live to discretely load sets/patterns/Clips?

For recording I use Pro-Tools to Control my outboard.

For my live performance mode, I use RM1x sequencer to control outboard.

My recording and live performance outboard include 5 keyboards 2 mixers, and 16U Rack. (Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Oberheim, Tc-Helicom, Behringer, etc...)

I am no Ableton Live Expert, but I would like to know from other users, how well does Ableton Live work as a dedicated external MIDI sequencer only for performance applications.

Does it's sequencer section allow for RM1x like Interactive Sequencing and assignible RPS/RPPR/KBSQ/Phrase Trigger to assignible midi channel?

I want to keep the laptop as discrete as possible, and only controll it using controllers. I.e, load my set/patterns/MIDI clips, etc with NO SCREEN on.

I'm only Interested in Ableton MIDI capibilities only, NOT its AUDIO/EFFECTS features (Which is really cool btw, but I'm looking for MIDI performance sequencers to control outboard for live performanc set ups)

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Ableton Live as MIDI Sequencer Only to control outboard

I rewire Reason to Ableton all day for drum programming and composing sample based music chopped from recycle. I Love ableton interface with both of my trigger fingers, its great for djing, live performances and composing on the fly. As far as controlling outboard gear that's a good question.
Pt 8, Reason 5, Recycle 2.1, Ableton Live Suite 8.02
Plugs >
All Registered plug in's & Vinyl out the wazoo. Mp3 sucks

Last edited by sbag; 06-15-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 PM

Ya I was reading the PDF manual from ableton.com and there is very little coverage about MIDI and it only talked about what you said, Re-Wiring midi. Nothing about MIDI for EXTERNAL devices. I think Live would be a Cool host interactive sequencer for HARDWARE units, however controlled discretely.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 PM

I use Live sometimes as a host to sequence a Motif and other ext instruments. It does a decent job.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miek07 View Post
Can you SLAVE ableton live to Beat Clock only (NOT MTC or MMC), via Yamaha RM1x?
Yes.