Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2008, 03:24 PM

Default Mac OS X 10.4.11 MBox 2 Mini Pro Tools Le 7.3: No Sound

This is a copy of my email sent to customer support, if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it, It would be nice to be able to record something this weekend without headphones.

Audio Card: Mbox 2
Audio Interface: Mbox 2
Miscellaneous:
Digidesign Software: Pro Tools LE
Version: 7.3
Computer Model and Speed: iMac 1.83 GHz
RAM: 768 MB
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.11

Other Digidesign and third party products used in the system:

Please give a concise description of the problem:
I recently purchased a bundle package that included the MBox 2 Mini as well as M-Audio monitors with RCA stereo hook ups. I've successfully downloaded ProTools LE version 7.3 and have recorded a 3 second clip of bass guitar. I can only hear playback when I connect headphones to the Mbox. I can't get any sound out of the monitors. In the Digidesign folder under CoreAudio, when clicked it says Digidesign HW: Unsupported Device, and status Not Connected. When I click connect nothing happens. I don't know if this is the root of the problem. I also have my Mac preferences set to the Mbox mini for both input and output and I have double and triple checked to make sure that the RCA lines are not crossed. I am currently on hold waiting to speak with a tech support representative and I must say that I'm completely losing my patients. I've been waiting for exactly one hour now and have yet to speak with anyone. It seems a bit outrageous to me that as a customer, I have to wait over an hour to speak with someone in order to address a minor technical issue during business hours. Digidesign obviously needs more staff members for technical support. I've registered the product. It was purchased on the 8th of March. Please respond to this soon.

-John Burtch

Actions required to reproduce the problem:
Pressing play at the beginning of my recorded track.

Troubleshooting already attempted:
included above. I've scanned the discussion forums on your duc.digidesign site, i've searched the answer database, and I've searched on yahoo and google for possible solutions. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting all hardware while having the computer turned off, reconnecting and rebooting. Nothing has helped. I can only hear any output through the headphone jack.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Mac OS X 10.4.11 MBox 2 Mini Pro Tools Le 7.3: No Sound

What model and how exactly are the monitors connected? The Mbox mini has no RCA connections?

If we're talking about a standard Mbox, then the RCA type connections on the back are in fact SPDIF digital. These will not work when connected to an analogue RCA monitor input.

You need to connect the 1/4" (L&R) Mon outs to the analogue inputs on the (active) monitors. I think that some M Audio have a 1/8" socket on the front as well.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 AM

Well it's the M Box 2 Mini, and yes, it doesn't have RCA out puts, but the bundle came with monitors that have RCA inputs as well as an RCA to 1/4" chord. I have the two quarter inch chord ends hooked up to the M Box and the RCA ends to the monitors. The monitors also have an 1/8" aux in. The M Box only has an L and R 1/4 " and a headphone out 1/4".

www.myspace.com/johnburtch
Old 03-15-2008, 04:35 AM

OK. That makes sense. Things to try,

1. Are the monitors connected to a power supply and powered up?
2. Is the Mbox Mix control turned clockwise?

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-15-2008, 01:32 PM

Yes, to both. I've got a blue indicator light on the power up switch so that I know it's on. I'm haven't tried connecting my previous montiors, because I need a couple more adaptors 1/8" to 1/4". So I'll see if it's maybe faulty monitors. But, thus far it seems like I've tried everything.