Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Help selecting a portable setup

Howdy, folks. Long time, no post, from me. Several years back, when my original band was more active, I picked up a Digi 002 system. Well, after that band went dormant, and after several desktop rebuilds, I really have not been using the 002 very much (though I definitely plan on keeping it). My needs now are for a portable setup to use with my laptop (Dell XPS 1710) for recording live shows (so two mic pre's are probably in order, ruling out the Mini), and for the ability to easily record individual tracks (I write reviews for Bass Guitar Magazine, and I'd like to be able to easily capture multiple bass tracks). I'd still like to be able to record a mix of 'real' and MIDI tracks for new originals, too, and I definitely want to be able to hook up the 002 to my laptop for mixing, etc.

So, I was initially thinking of just getting an Mbox, but now I see the Mini, the Pro, and all the M-Audio options. Any thoughts on which of these is best suited for my needs? And any thoughts on which packages/bundles are the most attractive? I appreciate any feedback/comments/advice.

Also, FWIW, my board (Onyx 1620) has the Firewire output option, and I'd like to be able to capture my live tracks from the board (in addition to a stereo mix from room mics). And I do still have two ADAT-XTs available, though I am thinking that I probably won't need them anymore if I can record straight to the laptop.

Thanks a lot. You folks have been so helpful in the past, and I look forward to being more active on these boards again.

Tom.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Help selecting a portable setup

Anyone?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Help selecting a portable setup

Well for the bass recording and a portable set-up. The m-box 2 will do fine.