Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Default Multiple Hard Drives in PT10 for audio tracks - voice switching

How do I set up Multiple HDD drives in sessions.

WD1002FAEX can "theoretically" support 48 tracks at 96kHz/24Bit. Obviously I do not want to bottleneck the drives to ensure durability.

I am building a new template where I want
Channel 1-16 (Stereo) tracks - 96KHZ/24BIT = WD1002FAEX Drive 2
Channel 17-32 (Stereo) tracks - 96KHZ/24BIT = WD1002FAEX Drive 3
Channel 33-48 (Stereo) tracks - 96KHZ/24BIT = WD1002FAEX Drive 4

Maximum track count of 48 tracks on 96khz, but i would like to be able to utilize 48 spare tracks for voice switching, where voice switching can occur on seperate drives.

Drive 1 is programs/os
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Multiple Hard Drives in PT10 for audio tracks - voice switching

Someone correct me if there's a way around this, but when you create a new session, that's where you designate what drive the session is on, but EVERYTHING for that session will be on the same drive. I don't think there's any advantage to spreading the session out over multiple drives anyway. If the computer is up to the task, there shouldn't be a "bottleneck" problem. My old PT8/Core 2 duo system did massive (60+ tracks) sessions without so much as a hiccup.
Anybody?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 PM

You can change the location of audio files in Disk Allocation. At least, you should be able to. I've had sessions where the audio files were split between drives by Pro Tools - probably because of something I overlooked, so it is possible. In fact, it's good practice to check your Disk Allocation when switching between computers to make sure that audio you record is actually on the right hard drive. I agree with sw_rec though in that I've never had a need to split audio between drives - but it is possible.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM

I believe what you are looking for is "Round Robin" disk allocation. That will save audio files on 2 drives, but be warned, it CAN be a nightmare for keeping track of files(and keeping them all linked to the sessions). For my money, I would NOT use it, but would use either 10HD software, or add the CPTK as those options give you RAM caching of audio. If you have lots of RAM(like 12GB or more) that means you can allocate 6GB(or more) for caching so all audio files get loaded into RAM(allowing you to keep a single audio files folder so all your audio resides on a single drive) so you don't suffer any bottleneck from drive performance Food for thought

More details on your system might yield better advice....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I am building a new system with MOTU 24IO containing 3 WD1002FAEX drives for AUDIO and Intel 335 SSD drives for steaming a bunch of EWQL instruments.

I will be utilizing all 24 inputs for recording, connected to a bunch of Mics/Synths/Outboard.

I need high track counts for the way I work with multi tracks. For example, I record the guitarist with Direct Line out + Mic 1 to amp + Mic 2 to room + Mic 3 on Guitar player (lapel mic attached to the guitar capture "Twang"). I do the same with the singers, Direct mic + 2 ft position + room position, etc.

I need 96/24 bit recordings for timestrech/pitchshift with minimal artifacts.

I would like to designate Drive 2 to Band Recordings and Drive 3 and 4 for EWQL instruments and misc Midi to Audio tracks.

The EWQL instruments will be recorded from Digital Output to analog outboard back into digital.

All recorded signals pass through tube preamps for warmth / it loosens the digital feel makes it warmer sounding and makes the overall mx between RWQL and Live band more consistent sounding.

I have success using a single audio drive system for bands and such, but this project has special requirements.

I have a separate 5600 Green drives for backing up all session data into project folders.

To my understanding Round Robin will not work because OS/Pro Tools arbitrarily streams files to different disc (unpredictable), in a manner kind of like raid 0 (but not exactly).

The system will have 32GB Ram, and sessions are bound to be a couple GB big. As far as "caching" goes, this might be a good option.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought that by choosing the location for recording each track in Disk Allocation, you could record each track to any hard drive you want to. I'm pretty sure I've done this in the past accidentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miek07 View Post
I need high track counts for the way I work with multi tracks. For example, I record the guitarist with Direct Line out + Mic 1 to amp + Mic 2 to room + Mic 3 on Guitar player (lapel mic attached to the guitar capture "Twang"). I do the same with the singers, Direct mic + 2 ft position + room position, etc.
Sounds like overkill IMHO, and you're going to have phase cancellations/additions using so many sources. I never say never and to each his own, but I'd rather concentrate on getting a great sound with one or two mikes on a source that's going to sit well in the mix - but if it works for you then go for it. I like your idea of running the VSTi's through an analog console.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Would be interested to hear the results of your project with so many recording angles.

I have zero problems tracking 24 channels on one 7200RPM drive. I have even done it to USB 3.0 drives as well with no problems. I wouldn't be too worried about it.