Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 08:30 PM

Default How to discard unused audio files?

Hi, does anybody knows how to automatically discard unused audio files from the audio folder at the end of a editing/mix session on PT M-Powered? Something like the compact audio function to save disk space...
Is it possible on M-Powered?
Thanks.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: How to discard unused audio files?

Hi, on a Mac you would hit Shift/Apple/U to highlight unused audio (you'll see it go blue in the right margin of the screen if you've got the right margin expanded). Then you hit Shift/Apple/B to choose to either remove the unused audio from the session or to delete it from the hard drive. Unfortunately there's no "delete all" option, which would save a lot of time.

On a PC I can't remember, you use either the Alt or the Ctrl key instead of the Apple key, try both and see which works.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:02 AM

Hi, thank you, I tried all combination with your advice but that doesn't work unfortunately...
PT save in the audio folder also every take I discard before saving the session, resulting in a huge use of memory that couldn't be free other than manually, with the risk of deleting used audio too and long time to do it. Some other trick is welcome, please.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 AM

OK, I've just tested it on my XP system and it does work...

1) Click on the << symbol at the bottom right of the screen, so you can see a list of all audio files in your session.

2) Hold down shift and ctrl, and while you're holding them press U. This will highlight all the unused audio files.

3) Hold down shift and ctrl, and while you're holding them press B. You will now be given an option to either remove the files from the session or delete them completely from your computer.

Really, it works
Old 08-05-2005, 06:09 AM

Well, it seems to work doing it but looking into the audio folder there are still all of the unused files that should be just deleted selecting "delete from disk" (gone forever...). It delete regions from the session screen but they still remain in the folder, why? Strange...
Old 08-07-2005, 04:19 PM

if part of the file is being used in the session the whole audio file will be kept.
after doing 'select unused' from the audio regions list if you still want to clear more space then you can compact selected files ... make sure you do a backup before doing this, at least until you've checked to see that it's ok.

stew
Old 08-09-2005, 02:50 PM

Make sure you hit "Delete" instead of "Remove" or they will remain on your disk. Also, as Oz-boy pointed out, you should probably do a backup just in case (I never put all my faith in things like this). It may slow you down a bit, but it's worth doing a "Save session copy in..." to a seperate location. I personally wouldn't even bother deleting the unused files until after I'm done tracking, or maybe at the end of the day, unless of course you really need the disk space.