Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Default upgrade path from Toolkit to Native?

If I spend the current $1995 for the Complete Production Toolkit 2 and later decide to upgrade to HD Native which includes the functionality of the Toolkit 2 is there an upgrade path that takes into account the $1995 you spent?

I haven't found an upgrade path listed here or with any retailer.

If you don't see it, the dilemma would be that it costs a PT9 user the same to go to HD Native as it would a Toolkit 2 user (which paid an extra $1995)

I don't want to buy the Toolkit 2 if I can't upgrade later and I'm not in a position to go with HD Native just yet. So I'm not making a purchase. Know what I mean?
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Default Re: upgrade path from Toolkit to Native?

$1995???? Check ebay, it's not anywhere near that much, especially if you only get individual iLok assets instead of all of the crap that's bundled with the toolkit. And no, there is no upgrade path like what you're looking for, I would imagine mostly because the software doesn't cost what you think it does.

You'd probably be better served to just buy a PTHD9 license off ebay for ~$600 as opposed to getting the Toolkit at this point. You'd have all the same software features as PT9+Toolkit.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM

Well, it comes down to what you actually NEED from the Toolkit/HD.

Plus, don't forget you also need an I/O box for HD|N not just the card.

You are right though... I don't think any crossgrade exists for customers with the quite pricey toolkit.

Plus: What KMcK said. ^

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM

I'll be needing much of what is included in the complete toolkit. Multiple video tracks, glide automation, surround mixing, panning etc...

I'm not sure how to go about finding individual ilok assets anyway. I'm also set with digital I/O conversion that would be compatible with the Native card.

When I type in "complete production toolkit 2" in ebay I get the price of $1995.

Except for 1 that was like $650... I mean is that legitimate?

Anyway, it seems there is no upgrade path, but I suspect that Avid will find that there needs to be, once customers wish to do that upgrade.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:13 PM

the only thing CPTK2 gives you that HD doesn't is the Mix5.1 plug-in to use if your trying to mix surround but only have a 2 channel output

other option would be to sell it after you upgrade

as long as it is a ligament copy you can sell anything for what you can get for it.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 PM

I wouldn't hold your breath for an upgrade path. I think they would have done it by now.

If they come out with a new HD TDM system, which is much more expensive, it's possible they may have an upgrade to that for Toolkit owners, but I'm just speculating.

As for prices, legit dealers are required to post a minimum advertised price, which is $1995. Many dealers are flexible on that.

If you're uncomfortable going with Ebay, there's a few options to look at.

1. Find the Complete Toolkit version 1, which many dealers are selling on clearance, as it's discontinued. This is actually a better deal, because you get a bunch of plugins bundled with it, that are no longer included in the new version (CPTK 2). This includes Hybrid, TL Space, Eleven LE, Structure LE, Smack LE and a few others. Whatever ones you don't like, you can sell those Ilok assets, offsetting your costs even more. The Ilok license for the Complete Toolkit 1 opens all the features in Protools 9 just like version 2 does. You don't even need to install anything.

Here is a good dealer clearing it out for $899:

http://altomusic.com/shop/Digidesign...t_pid100514.am

If you call them and talk to someone, you might even get it lower.

2. You could buy the Ilok license for CPTK2 from someone here on the forum. Here's a guy selling his (minus the plugins):

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=305708

3. You could buy the Ilok license for the DV Toolkit from someone. Then you can use it to get the $299 upgrade to the Complete Toolkit 2. You can still get it even if you bought the license used.

Then whenever you move up to HD, you can sell your Complete Toolkit license to someone else. There's always people who for various reasons are staying on older systems.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks nst7. Those sound like good alternatives.