Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2002, 08:31 PM

Default Drum Machine ,Sequencer, PTLE, How can I do this??

I'm sure there is a way... but I need advice and guidence. I was thinking there HAS to be a way to make this work. I want to be able to buy some kind of software that works in PTLE and use it as my "sequencer". I want to be able to buy a drum kit CD and use it's samples as my new "kit". I want to somehow be able make my SR16 send midi info to this software and I want this software to instead play the samples I have chosen for each pad, and I want to be able to print those sounds to HD.

I don't want to mess w/ loops or any of that crap. I write my drum patterns to sound like a real drummer. I use a lot of velocity hits, etc. Cutting up loops and making them work w/ my dynamics would be too hard. I can program a very good drum "song" very quickly now. So I don't want to throw the drum machine out the window. I want to use it write my drum songs, and just use sampled drum sounds i.e. Bun E In a Box...all hopefully routed and controlled by some kind of software.

What is the best type of software to buy for this? Will this method work well? What "format" should I work with?? Aif? Akai, etc?

Thanks for the help guys.

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 10-13-2002, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Drum Machine ,Sequencer, PTLE, How can I do this??

One more thing... does anyone know of another forum in which this type of stuff is discussed? That way I can get more feedback. Thanks!

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
Old 10-13-2002, 09:23 PM

Reason by Propeller Head will do it. I just found out in another post that you can use your drum machine as a trigger.....I.ve been programming all my drums on a DR5 but wanted better drums as well as the ability to and keys and synths/ sound effects etc. you can do it all on screen instead of squinting into a 1.5x2" Lcd. You can import your own sounds (one off drum hits for example) and sequence them however you want . you can record realtime and edit the same as you would on a drum machine or you can just record your already programmed patterns into it as MIDI data and apply .

I was hesitant for the longest time, but after downloading the demo I'm 100% sold. I'll be buying it in the new year when I can afford it.
it's also OSX compatible......
Old 10-13-2002, 09:49 PM

You have many options already without any special extra sequencing software. Of course Reason is a great program, but does not work with PTLE in any conventional format. People use it though, and there's a way they work around the incompatibilities.

If you already have PTLE consider the following: You have a full blown MIDI sequencer in PTLE, and it's packed with more capability than most hardware sequencers, albeit not as deep as other software like Logic, nevertheless, you're equiped already, no need to bother with more stuff. If your drum machine can send MIDI files to a sequencer, then PTLE is all you need to play them. It's usually even possible to simply play your drum machine via MIDI out into the PTLE sequencer so the note, velocity, etc. data will all be recorded into PTLE. If you like your drum machines "feel," retain it in PTLE by making sure you leave it unquantized by PTLE. You can then set up your sampler to recieve the data. Another way, you could probably just transmit MIDI control over your sampler directly from out the drum machine sequencer sync'd to PTLE MIDI clock. You have a few good choices already available for doing what you plan. Good luck.

Kenny
Old 10-13-2002, 10:34 PM

I agree with that to an extent. But I think he's also after better sounds(sample cds) that he can import and use with a sequencer and use his drum machine as an input device only . he could use SSC which is protools compatable but for the money Reason smokes it tenfold and I'm not sure about using a drum machine for input with SSC

I should also note that up until this point I only record my drum machine as audio. I only use protools and midi to sync each instrument to the zero mark in the song. ie: when I hit record in protools it automatically starts playing the drum machine into the recording track via the line level inputs on the 001. I do this for each instrument/drum so that I can mix each drum separately.
With reason it's a stand alone product and you can bounce "each track" to disk and import the audio or use Refuse to pipe it directly into protools but you're using the Reason sequencer/s for their superior clocks.
I think for the most part Midi in protools has been recorded as audio by most users.
Logic and DP3 are better for Midi as Midi sequencing.

Maybe Core audio adn OSX midi will close the gap between protools and reason. If not, as a stand alone product it rocks. check out the sample songs on their website. also the samples are mostly dance type stuff but you can use any instrument you chose to program any style you chose (I tested this with the demo as I'm a rock/metal type player)
and last but not least it's stinkin' easy to program/edit in Reason!!!!!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 08:04 AM

Guitaramundo,

Thanks. It now seems that there is hope. I'm a midi newbie, so bear w/ me. What is SCC? Also, what does it mean when you say, "use my DM as a trigger"?

So... are you saying that I need to record my drum tracks to PTLE as midi files, then route the sounds out via tracks right? As it stands now, I just print my sounds to HD.

Also, are you saying that w/ Reason... I don't really even need my DM?

Maybe what I'm wanting isn't possible? Or maybe it is, and I just don't understand all this "jargon"? I'd like to be able to have my session in sync w/ my DM. So that my session kinda "chases" my DM. When I hit record in PTLE to do a guitar track, I want my DM to start playing at that point in the song. Or is that even necassary? If the files are on my HD as midi files, then who cares. So.. since Reason doesn't work WITH PTLE, then that means that PTLE isn't going to be able to send that midi data to Reason right? So.. at this point, my idea of having PTLE play midi notes routed to Reason to play w/ replacement sounds i.e. Bun E Carlos is out of the question.

So, are you then saying that Reason will then be my new drum machine, using imported sounds?? I write my drum "song" w/ Reason's software, then export that info to PT? What will the export be? Midi files? Will I have control over each drum instrument? I like to have at lease four faders used for drums so I can have control.

You know... if someone could just fly out here to my house and SHOW me once... that would be SO much easier. HA!!

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
Old 10-14-2002, 09:22 AM

i use koblo studio 9000.has a good drum machine where you can import your own samples.interfaces to PT via directconnect.once you set it up,it runs fine
Old 10-14-2002, 10:18 AM

hey jpoprock,
with Reason you would use your drum machine as an input device (instead of a keyboard) So if you've programmed drum tracks on the drum machine you can then record the midi as midi into Reason then apply drum sounds off a cd like you asked. or you can do your programming in reason but you still need an input device (midi drum macine/keyboard) so you'd create a "multi track/(rack)" Reason file with drums, keyboards, bass, synths, samples of the neighbors kid screaming etc.
then you have a couple of options....you can bounce the reason file track by track to disc as audio files then import each track into Protools and mix and add guitars or vocals....
another option is to record it directly into Protools using a utility called Refuse which allows Reason to link to Protools. This allows you to record multi track reason files simultaniously into multiple Protools tracks (all as audio).
I'm sure you could record it as Midi but thats what reason is doing so all you's be doing is recording the midi info twice.
Protools sequencer isn't the best....
I haven't checked out Koblo Studios which another person is recomending.
Go talk to the local Midi guru at your guitar store to find out some options or check for posts (search for "reason")
this is of course only one possibility!!
SSC = Soft Sample Cell, a similar program.
DM=drum machine
Old 10-14-2002, 11:01 AM

I've read some stuff about Sampletank. This program works as an RTAS. But will it do the same thing Reason does?? What exactly are the differences in the two programs?

By the way Guitaramundo, what you just explained to me makes perfect sense. But if I do all my programming inside Reason... then why would I need an input device? So that I could get the "notes" to Reason's sequencer?

Sounds like I'd be very happy programming the drums on my DM, w/ velocity tweaks etc, then sending that midi info to Reason. But I'm sure that I could also adjust my velocity hits, etc inside Reason too.

And are you saying w/ Refuse, you can export the sounds as audio files, or do they have to be Midi Files? I guess that wouldn't really be the way to go huh? Audio would be the best. Thanks!

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
Old 10-14-2002, 11:03 AM

Also, when you say I can send the midi files to Reason from my DM... by what means? The Digi interface? What is the input/output chain like? If I knew that, I could probably visualize it better.

You're help has been GREAT though!!!

Jason
OWC External FW HDD