Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Audo Pull down .1%

really weird. (ptHD 6.2) I have QT files captured locked to ref and tc with burn-in. When I lay them into the session, they are out of sync. If I pull audio down .1%, then spot movies to tc # in burn.....then put pull down back to none...I am in SYNC ( no drift ). (Obviously tc #'s are NOT in sync )

When I look at Original time stamp of audio files, they are different than current placement....but when I pull audio down .1%, the Time stamp matches the current position. Does this tell me the tracks were transfered from da-78 into pt with audio pull down ENGAGED?? OYE!

These are music mixes that will be slipped into place if need be. I did an omf export test...with audio pull down on ....with source set to 47,9XX, and dest set to 48k....to bring back to pitch..... pulled it back to code position and code matched.

I did not do the transfer, but assume that is where problem existed. any ideas??

R
Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Audo Pull down .1%

Is your session set to the right time code type (29ND, 30ND, etc)?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:25 PM

oh yes...it is 29.97df. was transfered at that. I imagine the pt system was locked to word clock from 88's as well.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:22 PM

Quote:
really weird. (ptHD 6.2) I have QT files captured locked to ref and tc with burn-in. When I lay them into the session, they are out of sync.
Do you mean there is a drift, or do you mean the first frame of video is not the same timecode you expect it to be?
Quote:
If I pull audio down .1%, then spot movies to tc # in burn.....then put pull down back to none...I am in SYNC ( no drift ). (Obviously tc #'s are NOT in sync )
In other words, you slide the placement of the movie relative to the audio?
Quote:
I did an omf export test...with audio pull down on ....with source set to 47,9XX, and dest set to 48k....to bring back to pitch..... pulled it back to code position and code matched.
Huh? This would not change the pitch, only the length of your audio, if I follow you correctly. What code matched? The new region's time stamps? Did the audio drift at this point?
Quote:

I did not do the transfer, but assume that is where problem existed. any ideas??
I am not clear whether you are experiencing a drift or a placement problem. It might be that the transfer was done with code that was one flavor (drop/non-drop) while PT was set for the other flavor, and you have PT set to jam sync after locking. In such a case region placements would appear wrong but there would be no drift. It might be that PT was set for the wrong flavor, or that the DA78 code settings were not correct, so that it calculated the wrong flavor to output, which caused PT to lock to the wrong actual position even though PT was set for the correct type.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:44 AM

The sessions are at 29df...which is correct.
Yes, I am spotting movie to tc...not moving the audio.
When I spot movie to tc number on timeline, it is out of sync.
to get it in sync, I put session in audio pull down .1%, and spot movie to match burn in with timeline location. ( movie is still out of sync)
then I put audio pull down BACK to NONE. Now the numbers are off, but movie is in sync with no drift.

sounds like maybe, like you have said, the 88's were set to NDF...and they put pt in jam.(ouch!)

you are correct, pitch would not change in the omf export....but timing(placement and length )

thanks
Rob
Old 03-23-2004, 08:56 AM

If you are using HD you can pull the video up or down independently of the audio, could it be the video maybe needs pulling UP? I don't understand why you would put something in pulldown to spot it, then change it back. That makes no sense.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:13 AM

this method I arrived at that worked...that's all.... makes no sense,I agree.

The strange thing again, If I put the sessions in audio pull-down(.1%), then check the current location of a region, it is INDEED at it's Original Timestamp. If NO audio pull is enabled, the current location of regions does NOT match original timestamp.

R
Old 03-23-2004, 06:50 PM

Quote:
really weird. (ptHD 6.2) I have QT files captured locked to ref and tc with burn-in. When I lay them into the session, they are out of sync. If I pull audio down .1%, then spot movies to tc # in burn.....then put pull down back to none...I am in SYNC ( no drift ). (Obviously tc #'s are NOT in sync )

When I look at Original time stamp of audio files, they are different than current placement....but when I pull audio down .1%, the Time stamp matches the current position. Does this tell me the tracks were transfered from da-78 into pt with audio pull down ENGAGED?? OYE!

I think that might be the case. Another test would be to pull the video up and leave the audio where it is to check sync. If you don't have HD, you could do it with Premiere, Cinema Tools or Dumpster.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:21 AM

I believe I know how this happened now!

I think the 'Auto Pull Match Framerate' parameter was selected in the frame rate pop-up menu. when the person doing the transfer changed the frame rate, a pull down was inadvertantly turned 'ON'!

OYE! Watch out for this one

r