Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Default What is the mixing reference level for TV and DVD

HI,
I'm a new comer in audio engineeringand working in a postprduction studio.
I know that for TV stereo mixing the maximum level is -10 in Protools.But how about DVD stereo mixing?
I tried to extract the stereo mixes from some DVDs into Protools and found out that the maximum level is -1. However, the dialogue level is just -14, mostly.
I really want to know what are the reference levels for TV, DVD, etc.
By the way, it is hard to me to keep the level to -10 if there are so much 'dramtic' SFX or music.
Is there any advice for me?

Pls Help
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Default Re: What is the mixing reference level for TV and DVD

NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM

-10dBfs is what I use. The Massey 2007 mastering limiter is a great little low cost plug in to stick into your mastering channel, along with the free RNDigital inspector, that will keep those peaks where they belong. Commercials here in Oz can go to -9dBfs, so I reset the Massey to brickwall at that level.
If you master for TV, it should be fine for DVD.
cheers,
John.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
-10dBfs is what I use. The Massey 2007 mastering limiter is a great little low cost plug in to stick into your mastering channel, along with the free RNDigital inspector, that will keep those peaks where they belong. Commercials here in Oz can go to -9dBfs, so I reset the Massey to brickwall at that level.
If you master for TV, it should be fine for DVD.
cheers,
John.
Thx!
However, I wonder if TV can accept something more than -9dBfs. For example, with some action movies, it is hard to me to limit the mixing level to -9dBfs, because if I limit/compress too much, some SFX just 'crash' together, sound terrible!!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Usually you'll find there'll be delivery specs. Some use PPM, some use dBfs, some use the Dolby number system. The problem (apart from maybe getting the programme rejected) with TV transmission, is that if you do start exceeding peak levels, your signal will smack into the peak limiters that stations have to protect their transmission gear. Admittedly things have changed a bit with digital transmitters, but you'll still find the engineers who set up these things are fairly savage when it comes to be protective with peak levels.
With action stuff, it gets a bit tricky. You may have to compress individual fx to get the impact you need, or use dynamic trickery in your mixing to give more impact to extra loud bits.
Film stuff is a bit easier in that respect
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Usually you'll find there'll be delivery specs. Some use PPM, some use dBfs, some use the Dolby number system. The problem (apart from maybe getting the programme rejected) with TV transmission, is that if you do start exceeding peak levels, your signal will smack into the peak limiters that stations have to protect their transmission gear. Admittedly things have changed a bit with digital transmitters, but you'll still find the engineers who set up these things are fairly savage when it comes to be protective with peak levels.
With action stuff, it gets a bit tricky. You may have to compress individual fx to get the impact you need, or use dynamic trickery in your mixing to give more impact to extra loud bits.
Film stuff is a bit easier in that respect
Thx
Usually I use Maxim for compress/limit
Are there any better compressors/limiters?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critictalk View Post
Thx!
However, I wonder if TV can accept something more than -9dBfs. For example, with some action movies, it is hard to me to limit the mixing level to -9dBfs, because if I limit/compress too much, some SFX just 'crash' together, sound terrible!!
Recently I have had specs with peaks anywhere from 0 dBFS (with less than 3 consecutive overs) ,-2 dBFS, -6 dBFS, and -10 dBFS. It really depends on the network.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critictalk View Post
Thx
Usually I use Maxim for compress/limit
Are there any better compressors/limiters?
Just about any other Limiter out there.

But seriously......

For Limiting:
Waves L2
McDsp ML4000
Massey Limiter

For Compressing:
Waves RComp
Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laki View Post
Just about any other Limiter out there.

But seriously......

For Limiting:
Waves L2
McDsp ML4000
Massey Limiter

For Compressing:
Waves RComp
Took the words right outta my mouth! Try the Massey one though. It was my go-to limiter for years before I got the waves L2.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 AM

The L2 was my go-to limiter for years before I got the Massey L2007. At this price, it's pretty much a no-brainer.