Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Using external FX via S/PDIF in Digi003 PTLE 8

Hi folks, I don't seem to be able to figure this out. I've got a Lexicon reverb, which I like to use from within PTLE 8 via S/PDIF.
Now, back in the days I did the same thing with my old Digi001 on PT 5 (I think it was 5, but it's too long ago)

Now, in the year 2010 I've got this new 003R rig, and I can't get this done.
In the I/O dialog window I can't seem to get the S/PDIF channels to appear as an output nor AUX/Bus, which is strange.
My research unveilled, that the 003 and PTLE8 only gives me the option to mirror any two outputs to S/PDIF, at least thats what an article in the Knowledge Base said: When using 003 or 003 Rack with Pro Tools, you can send any pair of analog outputs (such as outputs 1–2) to the S/PDIF digital outputs at the same time.

But there's no S/PDIF in the output column... !?

There's an option in the CoreAudio Manager named "mirror analog outs 1&2 to digital outs" which leaves me wondering, if these two outs (1&2) are the only ones to mirror to S/PDIF.

What's the point in sending those two to S/PDIF anyway? I don't need the main (stereo) out to be fed into my FX unit, but individual tracks.

I'm sure I'm completely missing something here, so maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I'm confused

I want to be able to route the Aux send to S/PDIF, and get the signal back int PT via S/PDIF too.
Anybody here who knows step by step, how this can be achieved?

It will be highly appreciated!

Best regards from Octoberfest town of Munich (Oh god, I hate the Octoberfest!)
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Using external FX via S/PDIF in Digi003 PTLE 8

I can help you partway. First of all, the spidfs are independent outputs and you don't have to mirror them with anything.

I did something similar recently with the Eleven Rack, using spidf and just the reverb in the unit as an aux for vocals.

However, I did not keep the Eleven Rack, so I don't have any spidf unit to test with.

But here's what I do remember: You set up a stereo aux track, like you would with any software reverb plugin, and send your various tracks to it like normal.

Then you choose one of the inserts on the aux track, just like you were choosing a plugin. But you go down a little further - you'll see "multichannel plugin", then "multi-mono plugin", then below it you'll see "I/O". Click on that and it gives you the choice of any of the inputs/outputs on the 003, including the spidf. You select spidf, and now it will go through your hardware reverb unit.

But I don't remember if that's all you need to do, or if there's another step to get the output of the spidf back into your session. I'm pretty sure there's no other step and this is all you need to do.

Let me know if this helps!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Hi nst7,
thanks for your reply.
I tried it exactly as you said, but on the said "I/O" there's only "insert 1-2 (stereo)"
No S/PDIF.
In the I/O setup pane there's no S/PDIF either, so that's consistent.
The only place where I can select S/PDIF is when choosing an Input for a channel.

Seems like S/PDIF simply isn't activated for outputs, cos otherwise I should be able to select it, on the sends, inserts and on outs.

Normally I would do it this way:
I'd use a send to get the signal out trough S/PDIF, which then goes into the external FX, and for return I'd use an Aux channel with input set to S/PDIF. This way it should work, and this way it did in fact work back with the old 001 interface. I can't see why it shouldn't work this way with the 003. Maybe someone from tech department could shed some light on this.
There has to be a way!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 PM

In the Hardware Setup, make sure the optical is set to ADAT.

In the I/O Setup, delete all the input paths and then hit the "Default" button. Do this again for the output, insert and bus tabs.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 AM

Thanks for your helpful reply Jimmy!!!

That certainly did the trick. I can now see the S/PDIFS everywhere.

Part of the problem was also related to the cable I use for t he S/PDIF connection. I had to swap the cable, now it's fine. Strange. Last time I used it, it was fine...

Thanks again! I hereby declare this problem solved

However, a new question arises now (sorry )
If I now wanted to record the reverb tail, I would think that I'd have to route the output of said Aux channel (the one with the S/PDIF as input) to an Audio channel via the Bus. So I set the Aux out to bus 3-4, and the Audio channel to input Bus 3-4. Yet no signal on the Audio channel. Again, what am I doing wrong here?
This is only so that I can understand how PT works.

Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 AM

That method is correct, the only thing is that you have to hit the record button on that audio track in order to record it (and hit the main record button in the transport window).
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
That method is correct, the only thing is that you have to hit the record button on that audio track in order to record it (and hit the main record button in the transport window).
Indeed! Silly me

Folks I'm really relieved that the S/PDIF thing turned out to be as easy as I remembered it from the 001! But why isn't the I/O Setup set to default after a fresh install?

Ah well, it's working now, that's what matters