Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2015, 01:23 PM

Default OMF import help needed!

So my director gave me an OMF with embedded audio files. He gave me one before where the audio files were separate and it imported, but wouldn't sync up because the original audio was named differently than the OMF data. Now I have a version with the audio embedded into the OMF file, but when I try to 'Import session data" I get this message:

'Could not complete the Import Tracks command because invalid version fields in label for container "1080P MasterSequen#75CDA35.omf" - expected 2.0, got 2.1ln omfsOpenFile.'

Anyone know why this is happening? It worked before until the audio got embedded. I'm working in a lab with Mac OSX and Pro tools 9. I've never had issues before.. So I'm not sure what this is all about.

Please help!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Default Re: OMF import help needed!

What was the omf exported from? Premiere? Final Cut?

If the omf was created with Premiere, I've had numerous problems with omf's made in Premiere. A few of them just needed a simple version upgrade on their side before exporting an omf.

Have you tried importing it into a new blank session? Import into another DAW if you have one, like Logic, to rule out it being a Pro Tools problem.

What version of OSX are you on? Version of PT 9? Other system specs?

Home:2013 nMac Pro 3.5 GHz 6 Core Xeon E5, OSX 10.10, 16 GB RAM, UA Apollo Quad Thunderbolt, PT 11.3.1
Old 03-09-2015, 02:02 PM

I've tried it on 2 different computers now, and digital performer.

DP got an error, 'error code 18'.

The first computer had OSX 10.6.8 and Pro Tools 9.0.5
This one has OSX 10.7.5 and Pro Tools HD 10.3.7. This one has a 2.66Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon and 8Gb of Ram

Same error code on both computers and versions of pro tools. I always open in a blank session, but have tried just opening the OMF also in both PT and DP.

He is using premiere.. Do I tell him to try to update his software?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
"1080P MasterSequen#75CDA35.omf" - expected 2.0, got 2.1ln
pound # is an illegal symbol to have in the name or file path as is a slash
underscore is the only safe symbol to use

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshade View Post
So my director gave me an OMF with embedded audio files. He gave me one before where the audio files were separate and it imported, but wouldn't sync up because the original audio was named differently than the OMF data. Now I have a version with the audio embedded into the OMF file, but when I try to 'Import session data" I get this message:

'Could not complete the Import Tracks command because invalid version fields in label for container "1080P MasterSequen#75CDA35.omf" - expected 2.0, got 2.1ln omfsOpenFile.'

Anyone know why this is happening? It worked before until the audio got embedded. I'm working in a lab with Mac OSX and Pro tools 9. I've never had issues before.. So I'm not sure what this is all about.

Please help!

Typically the "file name" needs to be VERY brief and lower case does not hurt. I get OMF's from directors/editors all the time in premiere. The best thing is to give them some input on what you will need from them. OMF embedded, Consolidated Media, is all I use. Simple and that way you are not looking for a bunch of files missing in a folder from them that never arrived. Good luck.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-09-2015, 02:53 PM

I tried changing the name of the OMF file and it's accompanying .txt file, but it did not change the error message.

This is what the .txt file says.. there's some errors in it. Do these matter? Or maybe it has nothing to do with it, and perhaps 1 audio file didn't export right:

OMF Export started.
MZ 13 07 26
Make sure your Pro Tools settings match the export settings.
Check below for error messages
Start Time is: 00:00:00:00
ProTools Offset value is: 0:0.000
Frame Rate is: 23.976 fps
You can set this in Track Offset Options in Pro Tools.
Initializing OMF Export
13 3 28
OMF_FAILURE 116 (clip 145)

OMF_FAILURE 80 (clip -1310457088)
Old 03-09-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Typically the "file name" needs to be VERY brief and lower case does not hurt. I get OMF's from directors/editors all the time in premiere. The best thing is to give them some input on what you will need from them. OMF embedded, Consolidated Media, is all I use. Simple and that way you are not looking for a bunch of files missing in a folder from them that never arrived. Good luck.
What do you think Gives? I changed the file name after the fact, or does he need to change it when he exports it? I'm doing all what you say I believe.. not sure what consolidated media means.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 PM

the editor has to to the export correctly

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-09-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
the editor has to to the export correctly
Are you saying in general that has to happen?

Or are you referencing those errors in my .txt file?

It still exported as an OMF despite the errors.. so I assumed it'd just work but maybe would be missing a file or something.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:48 PM

The only OMF in a looooong time I've had that wouldn't open properly was because of illegal characters in a file the Premier sequence. The editor will have to do the export correctly probably renaming any files that have super long names or illegal characters. The only program I know of that could probably fix the OMF itself is AVtransfer.