Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Re: PT HD Veteran on an LE Rig. I got\'s me some problems!

You didn't mention it so figure I'd add that you should run through the troubleshooting thread just make sure there isn't something in there you're missing.

The only other thing that comes to mind is incompatible plug in versions cause awful problems, but it sound like you aren't dealing with new plugs/new PT version. Try getting rid of the plugins down to a bare minimum then add them in again one at a time...
Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 AM

No no, not a stupid question. Let me explain. I've got several systems I use. Personally I own an HD system, but on the tour we've decided to use one of the crew's 002's on the bus. The computer running the system is mine. And specifically, this is the exact same setup (and the same actual machine) that I have used for years previously for smaller mobile things. So I know the machine inside and out, along with the software.

Like I mentioned above, but I have taken all the necessary steps to start fresh by completely wiping the system (triple zero write-out)and reinstalling the OS and software fresh. You name it, I've probably done it. Turned off energy saving? Yes. Disabled spotlight indexing? Yes. Hardware meeting the minimum spec? Yes - well-exceeding it actually. And so on, you get the idea.

So given that I have used this exact setup for years, moving to HD, and coming back to it for a small mobile set-up, it was a shocker when I was getting relatively ZERO performance. Yes, Pro Tools would open. But that's about it!

Can anyone explain?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:44 AM

For Digidesign and anyone else reading, let me give you an idea of what this is like.

I load Xpand into an instrument track. I play one note, 25% of CPU meter is full. Two notes and 50% is full. Three notes and 75% is full with crackling. And four notes gets a 100% peaked CPU meter with solid static which remains for 2-3 seconds before cutting to silence and the program crashes with an "Unexpectedly Closed" notice.

Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 AM

If you want to continue using 7.1, you may want to consider downgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.4.9 or lower. I do not think 7.1 is compatible with anything over 10.4.9

This might help:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=22853

Good luck
Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 AM

If you push your sessions you need a better cpu than a G4 for Native. I had a G4 like you have and it was unacceptable to work with. See if you can trade out something on the bus for a new Mac Pro.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM

FWIW, I pretty much have the same system as you: same computer, 002r BUT 7.3. I was having the same kind of problems, do a search for cpu errors in the last 2 years on this forum.
While it hasn't been 100% fixed, my problems almost disappeared when I did the following:
1) Followed the Digi checklist at the beginning of this forum ( did this really help, not sure)
2) Upgraded to 7.3.1cs6.
3) Stayed at 10.4.8

Now, I've heard that 7.4 is even more stable due to them having to rewite the DAE code. But I'm in the middle of a project and you know the rule about upgrading in the middle of something

Hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
If you want to continue using 7.1, you may want to consider downgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.4.9 or lower. I do not think 7.1 is compatible with anything over 10.4.9

This might help:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=22853

Good luck
Yeah I'm guessing it's a OS version vs.PTLE version issue also. That's what jumped out at me as I was reading your posts.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:26 PM

1) have you run the error code through Answerbase? I did and got lots of returns
2) to clarify this G4 is a twin of your HD rig not your HD rig rebuilt; running 30 G4 DP 1.25s all bought at the same time they do not all behave the same way even after total ground up rebuilds

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM

Whew, lots of people to respond to.

Frenchie - You're right, that's the only possible answer at this point. Although I used 10.4.11 previously with PT with success, plus the compatibility document mentions that while anything over 10.4.9 isn't officially supported, reports show that 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 work fine.

But then I read this:

Quote:
Digi 002, 002 Rack, or Mbox 2 Pro with FireWire Drives on Power Mac G4 "FW800" Models
The following problem exists with the Digi 002, 002 Rack, or Mbox 2 Pro and the 2003 Power Mac G4 "FW800" models with FireWire 800 ports:
Recording with the Digi 002, 002 Rack, or Mbox 2 Pro to a FireWire drive connected to any of the 3 built-in Firewire ports on these computers can result in -6085 errors.
On these computers, Digidesign recommends using a dedicated internal ATA/IDE drive for recording.
The use of a Third Party FireWire PCI card is necessary with FW800 machines with Digi 002, 002 Rack, or Mbox 2 Pro if the user wishes to either record to or boot from an external FireWire drive. If using FireWire drives with Digi 002, 002 Rack, or Mbox 2 Pro and the 2003 Power Mac G4 FW800 models, a FireWire PCI adapter card must be used.
This problem only occurs on the 2003 Power Mac G4 FW800 desktop models. All other supported computers can use FireWire drives connected to the built-in FireWire ports.
That's the problem!! As always, it's a strange set of circumstances where my particular setup is the problem. Every damn time! It's funny how it always works out like that!!

Rellim- In case you haven't read everything above (I don't blame you, I've been ranting a lot here!), I'm NOT going to be pushing this system very hard. And I'm not, like I said before. The ability to play back one track is killing the system. It's not a matter of me pushing anything too hard, it's a matter of some fatal hardware problem!

Music Guru - Thanks for the tips. I may go ahead and upgrade to the latest version, or maybe even downgrade. Pro Tools 6.4 was lovely Solid as a rock!

CME - I thought this too, and I may go ahead and downgrade to 10.4.9. But luckily I've discovered the problem here (bottom of the page) with the FW800 model, which is what I have. http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=22853

Craig F. - Yes I searched the error code and got a lot of irrelavant information, but did discover this: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=22853 . This is significant because I have a FW800 model.

So for anyone else reading this, here's the answer. If you have a FW800 model of the G4, you must use a third-party FW card. Why - Digidesign doesn't explain why, but they do acknowledge it and recommend a fix here at the bottom: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=22853
Old 02-22-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Why - Digidesign doesn't explain why, but they do acknowledge it and recommend a fix here at the bottom:
It's a problem with the firewire architecture in those models. It happens with other firewire interfaces/devices as well, not just Digi stuff. The dedicated PCI firewire card should make the difference.