Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 10:32 PM

Default digi 002r will not fully power on

When I power up my digi 002r it will not finish the normal routine power up process where it would normally click 4(?) times and then be ready to use. This used to work fine until a few days ago when I tried to power up and then it just kept clicking. I then unplugged everything and checked all cables especially the power to make sure it was seated properly. It then began working for one day and then the same problem, however now I have not been able to get it to power up after repeating the same process.

This has been used in home only and always plugged into a UPS. I hope I was clear in explaining the situation, I'm not sure how to better explain what is happening.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

The answerbase at digidesign was no help.

Edit: Thanks for all the help it was the wiring harness. I didn't want to pay shipping or repair charges so I opened it up and cleaned the contacts, and re-seated the wiring harness. It's amazing the cheap quality of parts used in this portion. There is a very poor contact area where the harness plugs in. working like a charm since a couple days after initial post
Old 11-14-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: digi 002r will not fully power on

Hi,
I'm pretty sure it's your power harness... ;(
Does the machine get some power at all? (It gets ON but doesn't communicate with PT???.)
Does the two green lights light up??? (The sample rate one and the 1394 on the rack?)
If not, I had the same problem, like unfortunatly a bunch of 002r owners, but it's easy to fix and your 002r works well after!!!
Just bring it at the store where you bought it and if they have a technician he'll fix it.
(If your store doesn't have a digi tech ask for a return number via digi support, send it to them and they'll repair it.)

That's all I can say to help you.

Mark
Old 11-16-2005, 05:23 AM

The same thing just happend to me! It doesn't "fully" power up. The sample rate lights won't light up, only the mute button is on...
Did you get yours fixed? Or did you get it to work in any other way?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:49 AM

Like "Mark the frog" said; I just called Digi custumer support, they're sending the upgrade kit to me today.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:50 AM

Hey this is a very simple fix,you can do it your self in three minuits.take the lid off the 002r.there is a grey ribon cable that is not hot melt glued on,its the only one,all the others are glued on,this conection oxodizes.just unplig it and plug it back in.that should do the trick.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:07 PM

I am having the same exact problem. So glad to know I'm not the only one. If anyone has more information after they perform their fix, let me know. I tried to do what the poster above me recommended, but they were all glued. The only two that weren't glued were the ones with clips that connect to the lights on the frong. I disconnected them both, but, alas, it's still not working. I'll call digidesign though and hopefully get this thing storted out.

WEzz
Old 11-18-2005, 06:12 AM

I agree that you don't even need to wait for the replacement; the difference as explained to me was that the contacts were oxidizing, especially in humid climates, so the replacement may be some kind of anti-oxidizing 'super-kryptonite'.

But I would recommend cleaning the contacts; if you want to go the extra mile, you can treat them with some contact enhancer, like Stabilant 22.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:26 PM

Hey everyone!
Like I said in my previous post, I just brought mine to the store were I had bought it and luckily for me they had a digi tech who fixed it... So thats what I would do first. It took five minutes to repair and now it's been past 6months and still no flaws!!!

I've got nothing against the fact of DIY.
But you guyz are posting and not SHOWING us the problem...
So I'd get someone to look at it if possible.
You would'nt want to void the warranty on your Digi 002R.

Mark
Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 PM

Hi There!

Yours is not unfortunately an uncommon problem.

It IS the power harness and I have fixed my own after having a few weeks of trouble.

I Have photos to show you if you would care to e-mail me [email protected]

Take off the lid - the power comes from your IEC input/kettle lead - goes over to your main switch - it also spurs off along thew way but ends up just below where it started at the right hand side of the unit where the power inlet is. There will be a brown and a blue wire terminating in a white plastic block(harness).
This is attached to a board beside a round black thingy(technical term)!!!

THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS!

You need to take this off and clean it although usually just loosening it a bit and reseating it is suffice. Believe it or not that's all there is to it. There is some oxidisation occuring so a clean contact is obviously required.

Always ensure that you are disconected from the mains before doing this and as it is attached to a board don't be overly forceful.

Voila!

All the best

PS If you are uncertain feel free to contact me and I will send you the photos I took when fixing mine as no-one seemed to be sure which part to fix!