Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2003, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 6.0: Some Mac User\'s Disenfranchised!!!

I agree the upgrade seems purely cosmetic! I really dig Pro Tools 5. I'm just saying it is very interesting that such a wonderful upgrade has serious limitations on the hardware side.

Of course when i upgrade to 6.0, I will buy a new mac...I'm not crying about it...All I'm saying is it is a very interesting situation!!!
Old 02-25-2003, 11:32 AM

I agree the upgrade seems purely cosmetic! I really dig Pro Tools 5. I'm just saying it is very interesting that such a wonderful upgrade has serious limitations on the hardware side.

Of course when i upgrade to 6.0, I will buy a new mac...I'm not crying about it...All I'm saying is it is a very interesting situation!!!

Oh yeah, also if you can find some G4 macs w/ AGP on ebay for $500 I would love a link to it!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 07:19 PM

IN PT 6 PRO TOOLS IS ALMOST A REAL MIDI SYSTEM' FINALLY [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I don't want Digi to slow down advancements so people can run what is a cutting edge program on ancient (read G3) macs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree 100%. And I'm on a G4 Yikes PCI! The day I'll decide to upgrade, I'll just trade my mac, big deal.

Quote:
I agree the upgrade seems purely cosmetic!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Then you really don't need it. Move on.

6am eternal
Old 02-25-2003, 07:32 PM

"IN PT 6 PRO TOOLS IS ALMOST A REAL MIDI SYSTEM' FINALLY"

Is this coming from experience or just based on what Digi docs said?
Old 02-25-2003, 07:58 PM

I don't agree with the statement that PT 6 doesn't sound better. I noticed that I get a wider stereo image than in PT 5.x.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:45 PM

Were you serious about the conspiracy?

The PCI-Graphics Mac's have been out of production for years. You can't expect them to support older computers indefinitely.

If Digi had spent extra time to test/qualify the software for use with the older G4's and G3's, I think you'd have a lot more people upset than those who are using the older machines. Certainly when you got into this you realized that you'll have to update your computer every so often to stay on the cutting edge?

On the other hand, your system can do everything it could do when you bought it, so if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

-Duardo
Old 02-25-2003, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Quote from Chris Coleman
So, you don't consider 32 non-beta tracks, key commands focus, voiceable/virtual tracks, additional included plugins, better file management, OS X/dual processor compatability, time exp/comp trim tool, and many other features to be usable? Whew, you're tough to please...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Usable? Yes of course. But as I said, i don't consider these things to be a MAJOR advancement in the software. I suppose i'd concede your point and say that my comments are directly influenced by my own use and needs, and that perhaps these extra/improved features are a revelation to some users, but certainly not to me. 6.0 is worth the price of upgrade, but not the price of a new computer to run it if you have a system you like and trust already.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:15 PM

I agree with the not broke don't fix it. exactly! And of course I'm not serious about the conspiracy...I'm just being a smartass venting! Damn, people take **** to literally here! I did that as spin so people would reply keepin this post floating at the top of the board... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also I know of people who use photoshop 7.0 on OS X and it's compatiable with the PCI! I would have to say Photoshop is "cutting edge" as well, just interesting adobe can make it compatible but DIGI or should I say Avid can't.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:22 PM

3 years. That's what I estimated when I bought my iMac G3 400mhz in 2000. That it would be good for about three years out. It was about as good as it got in an iMac then-pretty much better than anything other than a G4. My previous Quadra lasted 6. When you start using applications like PT or Photoshop in a serious fashion you become a "power user". If you want to stay- state of the art-at any level, you're looking at an upgrade about every three years. That's just the way it is. The cpu upgrades offer hope for the economy-minded but untimately the new box is the better investment. The old box can be relegated to other tasks -or it can be sold at not a total loss. Mine is now the office computer(and OSX capable) and has a least another 3 years if not more of useability. The new QS 1ghz DP ws more than I wanted to spend but it got to where if I was going to run PT at all there was no point if it meant not having the full benefits of what the system could do (got tired of track and cpu limits and workarounds). I'm still using PT 5.2 but I'm also totally PT6 ready. Marketing conspiracies do exist but not on what, in the digital time frame, is obsolete product. Welcome to the techno-age.

P.S.-Always try to buy the best computer for your needs at the best possible price.This has a lot do with timing.
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD