Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Default Avid Omni linked to Digi192?

I'm running PT HD 8.1 on Window 7.
Will an Avid HD Omni link to a Digi 192 seemlessly? For mixing I need more Analog i/o and the Omni pre's will also come in handy.

All the Converter options on the Omni have me confused...How many channels will I be able to run outboard gear through the Omni when mixing? From what I can tell it's 4, but I need to make sure that's right. Also I want to monitor through the Omni, so can I get 4 analog i/o's and 2 monitor outs with Omni?

Any other opinions on getting the omni? It seems a lot of people re-sell them which makes me wonder...

Thanks,
Rich
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Avid Omni linked to Digi192?

The Omni, or any of the new HD interfaces will integrate seamlessly into your HD system.

There is one thing that could be a slight issue, and that's the fact that the new HD interfaces (including the Omni) are actually faster at converting the signal from analog to digital and vice versa. I don't know if this could be an issue when you're using inserts, etc. Hopefully someone who's done it will offer an opinion.

But as far as functionality, it should integrate seamlessly.

Regarding the ins, outs of the Omni, you are limited to 4 analog in, and 8 analog out. If you are using 2 channels of the Omni for monitoring, then you will only have 2 analog line ins left to use as inserts, etc. You would still have some extra line outs to use for headphone feeds or other uses.

As for why people are selling them, I don't think it's because they're unhappy with them. My guess is that people are getting them as part of bundles, and selling what they don't need. For example, if someone already has an HD interface, and they want to buy an HD Native card (or the Thunderbolt version), they are forced to buy a bundle. So they may be just selling what they don't need.

The Omni is a great product, and many people are happy with it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM

That's exactly what I needed to know nst7, thanks. Can anyone chime in about timing issues with linking an Omni w/ digi 192? If they are both independently processing the signal (converting) then it does seem to me things could get misaligned...Maybe I should go with the Avid HD i/o 16x16 even though I only need 8 i/o for my outboard gear plus 2 outs for monitoring.
To mix with the Omni & 192 I could go 4 i/o's from the 192, and 4 i/o's and 2 outs from the Omni. The i/o's from the 192 would be the heavier processed stuff (from Distressor & Trakkers), while the Omni would run my mix bus comp and a couple other more important trks.

Any opinions please?

Thanks in advance for taking the time.
Rich
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you are using 2 channels of the Omni for monitoring, then you will only have 2 analog line ins left to use as inserts,
Rich
I have OMNI and 16X16
If you are using the monitor outs you still have 4 analog ins and only 6 analog outs. BUT if you take advantage of the digital i/o . you can have 4 analog and 4 digital inputs or 8 digital inputs.

I have used a 192 , 96 i/o and a HD 16X16 analog at the same time .
Using the 16X16 for hardware inserts . I honestly could not hear a difference in latency or had any issues with phase timing
but I didn't track anything with them all at once , just had them hooked up and working .
I use the compensate after record pass setting and have had no issue,s so far.

The OMNI is great ! I have only tracked some acoustic guitars with it so far , just to hear the built in pre,s .
Although the built in pre,s are nothing extra ordinary special , they are still very useful assuming you are not used to exotic hi end NEVES or anything in that category .

I would recommend it to any person who needs a monitor controller and a few extra I/Os , the included pre,s are very handy to have already integrated and ready to use . People have said the learning curve is steep on these but its very easy to use for me .
I use it to feed my headphones and the built in pre,s as well as my monitor controller. Its great for me . Only complaint would be that only 4 analog I/O is a drag and that with HDX it leaves leftover i/o in any new HD interface configuration . But the monitor controller and 2 pre,s with 6 line outs and a built in headphone amp that sound nice is easily worth the $1800 ebay wants for them.
Solid buy overall . Anything can be better but thats exactly what this is better, not just i/o not just monitoring but a multipurpose box that does everything great.
Just only 4 analog ins can be a bummer.