Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2003, 06:16 AM

Default How do you cope with 1920x1200 res. on Cinema HD Display? Magnifying glass? ;-)

Hello,

I just bought the Apple 23’’ Cinema HD Display. It sure looks pretty... But I find myself trying to find my cursor more often than working productively. Fader length in mix window is quite short, too, plus font size.

The next available resolution is 1024x640, which looks rather... funny. It reminds me of my ATARI/Cubase days ;-)

What is YOUR experience? Any solutions apart from using a magnifying glass ;-) ???

My setup:

G4 Quicksilver 733 with Nvidia Geforce2 MX, Mac OS 9.2.2, Apple 23’’ Cinema HD Display, ProTools MIX++, etc.

Yaro
Old 05-06-2003, 07:49 AM

Default Re: How do you cope with 1920x1200 res. on Cinema HD Display? Magnifying glass? ;-)

get a bigger cursor? Dare I say, a biggy cursor?

http://rjcooper.com/biggy/index.html

Tucows lead me to this particular link.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: How do you cope with 1920x1200 res. on Cinema HD Display? Magnifying glass? ;-)

Thanks, Mark.

I can see I'm not exactly winning a popularity contest with this question... ;-)

However, I do think it would be quite important and beneficial for all PT users to discuss this issue a little further. I mean, many people are considering buying the HD Cinema Display, and they may be in for quite a surprise. Some may even have to redesign furniture or make necessary adjustments just to sit a couple of inches closer to the monitor...

Again, what is YOUR experience?

Yaro
Old 05-07-2003, 09:02 AM

The solution is to make everything 'bigger' on the screen. In Quark, Word, etc. have your documents come up at 200% instead of 100%. In ProTools make your tracks all 'large' or 'jumbo'.

Once you get used to doing this, the bigger size & fabulous resolution makes for a less tiring day.

The disappearing cursor CAN be a drag though in PT...........
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2023.6
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 05-07-2003, 09:33 AM

I have the 22" 1600 x 1024 and my eyesite is still good. Even at that resolution I often loose the cursor. I have to do a quick wheel to the top of the page to find myself. I mainly loose the selector tool when I am in the edit window.

I have always wondered why you can't find larger cursors for a mac. There are a slew of them for the PC. But I can't even find one for OS X.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:58 AM

I've got 2 22" Cinema displays and yes, it's a bit of an eyestrain with Pro Control between me and the displays. Here are a few must have shareware apps to help.

1. Mighty Mouse -www.unsanity.com

2. Eyeballs - www.sticksoftware.com

Also, go to view options (command j) in the finder and you can enlarge desktop icons and text size.

Biggy Lite is cool as well, but it's not available for OSX yet.

Jamie
Old 05-07-2003, 08:32 PM

Theres a control panel that lets you increase the icon size of the OS elements and font size.

My 23 is about 16-20 inches away. A delight
Old 05-08-2003, 07:00 AM

Guys,

AT LAST!!! I was made to feel like I was a madman!!!

I had exactly this discussion with the boys and girls at Digi about 6 months ago when I first bought my 23" Cinema displays. I cannot stress how badly this situation chips away at wasting my time little by little, as I cant find my cursor for up to 5 seconds sometimes.

I discussed this with Digidesign and their answer was that this was not really a problem and certainly not a priority to fix. I pointed out that they have COMPLETE control over the cursor (changes depending on tool type), so how difficult would it be simply to add a couple of pixels to all the cursors. Possibly as a user option for people with large monitors. Let me give you an example of how indifferent Digi were to this problem. THEY DIDN'T EVEN TEST A 23" DISPLAY IN THEIR LABS!!!! Professional??? I think not. This is supposed to be a forum to help customers, but the amount of genuine enquiries and general feedback that goes entirely ignored by Digidesign is quite staggering.

I suggest we shout about this one, as monitor sizes are only going to increase and now that more people other than just me are struggling, something has to give (originally I couldn't even get any other users to agree with me that this is a problem, so welcome to the misery club).

Cheers all.

Steve Bush
Old 05-08-2003, 08:34 AM

The cursor size is controlled by the OS, the apps have nothing to do with it.

If you don't like your cursor, get some shareware to change it, or compain to Apple.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:00 AM

I don't know whether it's a language barrier (I'm Polish), but by "cursor" I actually mean "the selector" or "the trimmer" tools within ProTools application, not in the Finder. So, who has control of THESE? DIGI?

Greetings Bushpig [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I read your thread before and now I'm your partner in this misery...

Yaro