Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Question Waves March TDM Special offer

Please recommend... which one....Gold bundle.....Gold bundle with SSL 4000 or Platinum bundle.

Thanks.

PTHD2/8.0.3cs2
Mac Pro 8 core/OSX 10.6.2/16 ram
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Waves March TDM Special offer

Mercury
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM

I can't afford the Mecury..expensive...what I'm looking is just for simple plugins for tracking and mixing ITB mostly I'm doing pop rock.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 AM

Gold is missing some "mastering" type stuff compared to Platinum, like L2 and L3 and Linear Phase eq and multi. It has no Ren Bass too but it does have Maxx Bass. So depending on your work if you need to do some home mastering you would perhaps prefer Platinum over Gold, if not, take Gold and demo SSL before you get it to see if it makes sense for you to pay for these. Many say they are best stuff from Waves, I personally don't miss them at all, never used SSL in real world so maybe that's why
I would recommend to look into CLA Artist Signature Collection, IMHO that is very good.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 AM

I had the Gold TDM Bundle and wanted L3. Instead of just buying the L3 Mulitimaximizer I upgraded to the Platinum + L3 Multimaximizer Bundle they are offering.

Jeff
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM

I agree with Digidesigner's above post.

I have the Platinum Bundle and I love it. However, most plug-ins I am using on every project are also in the Gold Bundle. I also own the SSL and CLA Compressors bundle.

I personally did not feel much of an upgrade from the Renaissance EQ/Compressor to the SSL channel strips. The SSL Master Bus compressor is really nice though (although the Renaissance Comp is great on the master bus too). But I too did not learn on an SSL board. But try the demo of the SSL Bundle first. For me, I didn't see anything special about using the SSL plug-ins over the Renaissance EQ and Compressor. Especially not in a way that it justified the cost.

If I was limited on my budget, I would definitely choose the CLA Compressors bundle over the SSL. I personally love the combination of the Renaissance EQ with one of the CLA compressors on my tracks. The CLA76's are outstanding! They add lots of character in a very pleasing way. An absolute must on Vocals and outstanding on Drums. These are my favorite compressors. The SSL Bus Compressor is my next favorite followed by the Renaissance Compressor.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM

The three things that I don't think I could live without which are included in Platinum but not Gold are the L2/3 plugs (I really dislike the sound of the L1). The Linear Phase plugs, and RBass, which IMHO sounds way better than MaxxBass.

Just my 2 cents tho...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM

Another vote for making sure that you end up with both the SSL bundle and the CLA Compressor bundle in whatever combination that you choose to purchase. The SSL EQ's are seriously powerful and amazing sounding, whether or not you learned on an SSL. I have Platinum and that is way enough for everything when combined with the two other bundles. Even though the L2 is included in Platinum My personal taste goes to the Massey L2007. You just have to see what it is that works the best for you personal preferences. I would do some demoing first.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM

I'll second Werner's comments above. I just upgraded both my Studio Classics Collection and CLA Classic Compressors to TDM and couldn't be more pleased. I've actually found the SSL EQ (not the channel strip) to be even more dsp efficient than the included Digi Rack EQ, allowing me to fit 20 mono instances on one chip. I've never used any of the Waves Limiters, but the Massey L2007 is a great limiter for only $89.

If I were you, I think I'd probably go for the SSL Collection with the CLA Compressors. It's cheaper than both options you're considering above and will give you some of the best plugins Waves has to offer. If you still feel like you're missing out after that, you could always pick up the Renaissance Maxx Bundle or the Gold if you really want to stretch it. IMHO, any of these options will put you in a better place than Platinum alone.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM

Renaissance Max, CLA Compressors and SSL Bundle would get you there pretty close. However, the big hole in this purchase would be a great multiband compressor. The C4 is a must! You also miss out on Doubler which I use a lot, but other's may not be so thrilled about.

So I'd say just make sure you have some way to cover your grounds for the Multiband Compressor. Also, a great mastering tool would be essential if you are doing any mastering. Perhaps Dynamic Spectrum Mapper would fill both of those holes for you.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio