Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-1999, 07:33 PM

Default You call Pro Tools 5 a MIDI sequencer?

I'm sorry, but it doesn't seem like much of an improvement over the sequencing capabilities of 4.3.x. What do you guys think?

Also, I synchronized an ADAT to Digi001 with a JL Cooper Datasync 2 recently and it worked OK. However, the session setup window was set to 44,100 and the ADAT was at 48000 so i was bombarded with about 30-40 dialog boxes going back and forth saying "The sample rate is wrong", "The sample right is fine", "The sample rate is wrong", etc. Every time I hit OK on the dialog a new window would open, not allowing me to change the sample rate. I had to yank out the optical cable. Who said Pro Tools was stable? Once I was allowed to change the sample rate, the sync went fine. I also realized that the Digi001 has 24-bits on it's optical ports, yet the more expensive ADAT Bridge still only goes to 20 to "ensure compatibility". The ADAT tracks went through the Digi001 just fine even though they clearly are not the "Alesis 20-bit chipset".
Old 12-05-1999, 08:07 PM

Default Re: You call Pro Tools 5 a MIDI sequencer?

Here we go again....
Old 12-05-1999, 09:01 PM

just curious "TED"

what do you consider stable?i find PT 5.0 to be very stable.it's very unusual for me to defend digidesign,but i will defend protools 5.0 in terms of improvements from 4.3.2.midi is good enough to do a lot with,i can now use ATA drives which was blocked out in previous versions.i must admit that it's no logic audio when it comes to midi,but i expect improvements with future updates.

but you did make a valid point on the adat bridge thing.

Old 12-05-1999, 09:33 PM

Webmaster:

Please delete this thread, before it's too late...I beg of you..
Old 12-06-1999, 10:50 AM

The MIDI tracks in 5.0 take up too much of the screen, and if you make them smaller you can't see anything, especially if you are scrolled out of range. Plus the absence of a list/score/drum editor just makes life unneccessarily difficult (spell that three times really fast). Getting 30-40 error messages and not allowing you to change a setting to fix the problem is clearly a bug that makes me feel unstable. When "I" feel unstable is my definition of a stability problem.

Come on people, I'm clearly not the only one who feels that Digidesign is price gouging with the ADAT Bridge. How is it possible for Digidesign to come out with an inexpensive 24-bit lightpipe product like the Digi001 yet still can't seem to fix their older more professional product, the ADAT Bridge, and still charges more for it? It's not just MOTU they're competing with now, it's themselves. Are they just charging more because the ADAT Bridge is "professional"? Utter hogwash!
Old 12-06-1999, 11:12 AM

I hear the new ADAT Bridge is on the way, so relax.

As far as instability goes, I think it's fair to say that with ANY new technology product there are often a (long) list of bugs, strange errors, and instability. I can name a few.

Whenever I install a new system or OS, my computer always has to cough up a lung or two before it settles down.

So relax, have some egg nog, and give tech support a call.
Old 12-06-1999, 11:24 AM

I haven't had many problems at all with PT 5 and have been pleased with how well it works. The MIDI is so much better than 4.32, how can you even compare them? I am very thankful to have a midi editing environment inside ProTools because the rest of the sequencers out there either suck really bad or are very hard to use (nothing is the model of stability quite yet).
Old 12-06-1999, 11:33 AM

This is off topic here in "Pro Tools Troubleshooting Mac OS." Ted seems to have a little trouble reading the title sof the forums. Please discuss this in the "Pro Tools LE" or "Digi 001" forums.

-Mark
Old 12-06-1999, 02:17 PM

Like I said, delete thread before it's too late..

You guys are takin' the bait like a starving trout...

Old 12-06-1999, 05:31 PM

The Adat Bridge was made for Adats. Name one 24bit Adat with Lightpipe. They are reworking it but havn't asked for your approval yet Ted. As far as 5.0 goes, I havn't had the pleasure. Judging by what most people are saying, I get a feeling of joy and tranquility. I usually don't run out and get the latest thing. I suspect I will be running my biege G3 233 and will upgrade to 5.0 in a few months. Probably get a g4 then.

[This message has been edited by creaturestudios (edited 12-09-99).]