Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Default Entering sleep mode causes loud "bump" in monitors

In Audio/Midi Setup on the Mac, I have routed all sounds to my Mbox (and from there to my monitors). When I close the lid of my MacBook Pro, it will enter sleep mode. One of the consequences is that the power supply to the Mbox is cut. This causes a loud, short "bump" sound in the monitors, regardless of the monitor out level on the Mbox (and in any headphone as well). The same sound comes when exiting sleep mode (when power comes back to the Mbox again.

My monitors have an auto on-feature, meaning they are turned on when sound is sent to them, and after 20 minutes of silence, they turn off. This way, I won't have to turn them off manually all the time, but with this loud sound coming all the time, I have to do it anyways.

Is this somehow dangerous for the monitors? Is there any way to do something with it?

Here is my setup:
MacBook Pro 2.2. GHz, 2 GB Ram
Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4
Mbox 2
Pro Tools LE 7.4.2
Monitors: KRK V6 Series 2
Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM

Disable sleep mode? It isn't recommended or supported.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM

Well, if it is avoidable, it is not an option for me. I use the computer for various tasks beside Pro Tools, and sleep mode is a feature I would struggle to live without.. Thanks for your answer anyway!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Sleep causes more problems than it solves IME, and like was mentioned already Digi reccomends you disable it. I haven't used it in years, and my systems are very stable. I have also experienced fewer hardware failures.

That said the simple solution to your thumping problem would be to power-down your monitors before sleeping the puter.