Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 AM

Default New boot drive in OSX with Carbon Copy Cloner?

I just received my first OSX computer. I had requested that my dealer install a Raptor 74 gig HD and copy everything from Apple's 250 onto it and add all the Protools software and all copy protection and ilok stuff (Digi plugins, Waves Platinum, Massive Pack and Auto Tune),,,then erase the Apple 250. I intend to use Apple drive for recording only. This was not done correctly. Various things ended up on both drives and the Apple is still the boot drive. I have no OSX experience. I called my dealer and he said get Carbon Copy Cloner. I was going to copy everything from the Raptor to the Apple HD, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to move everthing to the Raptor, then erase the Apple HD. Will this work properly? Will all my copy protection stuff move just fine?

Christopher Kimball
C.K.’s Musical Workshop
4090 W. Eaglerock Dr.
Wenatchee, WA 98801
509-667-0648
Email: [email protected]

Mac Dual 2.5 Ghz liquid cooled, 250 (Apple) and 74 Gig (Western Digital Raptor) HDs, 1 gig memory, OSX 10.3.5, 30" monitor, PT 6.7, Digi 192, Digi MIDI, 1 Accel Card
Wenatchee, WA 98801
509-667-0648
Old 11-15-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Re: New boot drive in OSX with Carbon Copy Cloner

I have copied with CCC and almost all of the authorized software worked. I think there was an issue
with Waves (this was pre-iLok) but I just emailed them and got a new authorization.
You actually have nothing to lose, assuming everything you own fits on the 74.
All the authorizations will be presumably on the 250, so:
Merge everything onto the 250, unmount the 74 and make sure that configuration works,
then CCC your system onto
74 , boot off the 74, unmount the 250, and make sure that configuration works, then you can wipe the 250.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: New boot drive in OSX with Carbon Copy Cloner?

I used CCC for the first time today.

You CAN NOT simply drag system and library files between hard drives, since PERMISSIONS must be set appropriately. if you do not know what you're doing, you can make a mess.

here's what I would do, considering you have a new machine and it sounds like thee are files everywhere...

start from scratch.

put in your apple restore DVD and do a format of the raptor (why did you get this for your OS? it's not going to make much of a diff so say many experts) -- and put a fresh OS on this puppy. then re-install your apps and plugs from masterdisks. You will need to re-do challenge/response copy protection (although if it is the same computer, your responses should be identical... you may not have to request new codes)

not to be a jerk, but since we discussed this in the "iLok" thread - your ilok plugs will not be an issue here, just plug it in.

make sure your OS drive is "journaled" and your 250gig audio drive is reformated "mac os extended - journalling off)

this will take you about 2-3 hours.

have fun.

jr
Old 11-15-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: New boot drive in OSX with Carbon Copy Cloner

Quote:

You CAN NOT simply drag system and library files between hard drives, since PERMISSIONS must be set appropriately. if you do not know what you're doing, you can make a mess.

That is certainly true, and reinstalling the OS and all the apps from scratch
is always a safe thing to do, but the whole point of using CCC is that it knows about all
the system and library files and does all that work for you -
it knows what to copy and how to set permissions.