Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Recording acoustic guitar

Hello, anybody out there got a cure for that friggin pick clickin' when recording acoustic guitar? I've tried everything i can think of so far for a quick fix, rolling off the high end, filtering it out & ect. but i guess when it's there, it's there I use a Samson condenser mic & keep it about 18-24 inches away & position it about where the neck & body join & everywhere else i can think of. I don't know what else to do, if i put more distance between me & the mic the clickin is stronger & if i get closer,.....well that's just no good at all. I run the mic into a Focusrite pre w/ an XLR, 1/4 & line in, but i only have the option of using 1 of the inputs, 2 at the same time won't work. sumbody tell me sumthin good thanx for any advice, everybody here is always alot of help!!
Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Recording acoustic guitar

Have you tried pointing the mic at the bridge from above or below?
Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 AM

maybe try with an overhead mike (far from your guitar not too far..lol)...and how big is the room you record at?...

small is better...

Peace
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Hello, anybody out there got a cure for that friggin pick clickin' when recording acoustic guitar? I've tried everything i can think of so far for a quick fix, rolling off the high end, filtering it out & ect. but i guess when it's there, it's there I use a Samson condenser mic & keep it about 18-24 inches away & position it about where the neck & body join & everywhere else i can think of. I don't know what else to do, if i put more distance between me & the mic the clickin is stronger & if i get closer,.....well that's just no good at all. I run the mic into a Focusrite pre w/ an XLR, 1/4 & line in, but i only have the option of using 1 of the inputs, 2 at the same time won't work. sumbody tell me sumthin good thanx for any advice, everybody here is always alot of help!!
1. Um, use a felt pick.

2. If you don't like felt picks, then try compressing with a fast attack and a fast release, maybe start with a 5:1 ratio and aim for about 4 dB of reduction. Just strum while your left hand mutes all strings to zone in on the picking noise. The compressor should kick in when it hears sharp transients (like pick noise), but will back off soon after, leaving you with more pitch and less strum.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Try placing the mic closer to the guitar. Sounds like you may not be picking up the "body" of the sound. If it gets too boomy, try miking further up the neck, or you can also use the low cut switch on your mic or mic-pre if it has one. I'm usually about 4" to 6" away, pointed at where the neck meets the body. It's different for every guitar, though.

Another trick is to get a lapel mic like the ones they use on TV. Tape it to the edge of the soundhole, although you'll have to experiment with placement. A few years back people were raiding Radio Shack for a certain model since it seemed to work well (and at a low price). Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact model, but they are cheap enough to experiment.

Also, IMO, I like a certain amount of clicking.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 08-12-2006, 12:03 PM

Thanx for the replies everybody, i'm gonna try some of these tips tonight & hope i find the cure for my "clickin pickin"