Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2002, 02:43 AM

Default FORMAT HDD

This is basic I know, but I can't remember the process. From windows ME. What do I do to reformat my OS drive?

Thanks in Advance
RDOG [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2002, 03:10 AM

Default Re: FORMAT HDD

u dont, as then u would attempt to delete system files on which Me runs on. The best way to do this is to boot on bootable floppy or Cd and format the partition from Dos.
If you dont have a boot disk u can make one: under control panel - add/remove programs - make installation diskette, something like that, im not really sure about the english names in the menus..You will be prompted for the Me installation Cd. So have that ready...
Old 02-19-2002, 11:40 AM

I want to do a cleam install. how do I wipe the hard drive.

thanks,
RDOG
Old 02-19-2002, 11:48 AM

If you're not comfortable with a DOS environment, the easiest way to prepare a drive is to go to the the web site of the drive manufacturer, download their installation software and follow the instructions to create a boot floppy. Restart your computer with this disk in the drive. These programs are easy to use and very "windows" like. They will FDISK and FORMAT in one simple step.
Then, you will restart with your ME Startup floppy and use the ME CD for a clean install. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RDOG:
I want to do a cleam install. how do I wipe the hard drive.

thanks,
RDOG
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-19-2002, 08:55 PM

JMS40.... when doing a wipe and reinstall there's no need to FDISK. The drive is already recognised and set active & Primary.
I'm literally just after doing this to the machine I'm on here now (after spending hours searching for drivers...DOH).

RDOG the process is: get a floppy, go to ADD/REMOVE programs in the Control Panel.
Make Start disk.
restart the machine. Make sure the A drive is first in boot order in the Bios (usually DELETE gets you into the BIOS).
Select "CD support" as your boot option.
When you get to A:> type
"Format C:" (without quotes!)
When finished go to the CD drive and type "setup" and away you go.. Make sure you have the Product Code nearby though.

IF you don't have the product code nearby you can find it by going Start>Run "regedit"

click the +'s till you get to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE + Software + Microsoft + Windows + CurrentVersion

look for the ProductKey tag and that's the code
Old 02-20-2002, 04:36 PM

Well, you guys are both right, but you mis-read my post... at least the intention of my post. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sorry I'm not the great communicator.
I didn't mean to suggest that RDOG run FDISK or that he needed to. The mention of the program merely had to do with the explaination that disk installation software completely partitions and formats a drive in preparation for a fresh start... in a Windows like atmosphere. Granted, the re-partitioning was not necessary in this case, but Formating was... and DOS can be intimidating if you haven't spent a lot of time there.
The nature of the question lead me to believe that this person doesn't do this 5 or 6 times a month like I do, and in that case, I always reccomend using the manufacture's software to prepare a disk. It's just easier for most under those circumstances.

cheers
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sixpence:
JMS40.... when doing a wipe and reinstall there's no need to FDISK. The drive is already recognised and set active & Primary.
I'm literally just after doing this to the machine I'm on here now (after spending hours searching for drivers...DOH).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-21-2002, 12:22 AM

he is exactly correct.