Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 06:41 AM

Default Spectrasonic plugs crashing Accel on a G5

used Atmos/Tril/Stylus for 2 weeks w/ no prob on the above system until I used and saved a session w/ 9 Atmosphere plugs...

next morning, that session crashed during the PT boot and since then all prior recorded sessions w/ any of these plugs failed to load (crashing during the track insert activation part of the booting sequence)...had to reconstruct all prior sessions using "import session data" while avoiding importing any of the tracks on which a Spectrasonic plug was inserted....

and now inserting even one of these plugs on a track even in a new session with only 1 stereo audio track causes the session to immediately crash...

anyone else experiencing or solving this tizzy.....?

Kirk
Old 01-27-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Spectrasonic plugs crashing Accel on a G5

I've had the exact same problem a few times on a G4DP1.25/OSX.3.2/PT6.2.2. This cleared everything up. Something in the DAE prefs gets messed up. Just follow these instructions I received from Brent Chen at Spectrasonics tech supt.

"Each User has their own set of Digidesign Preferences located in their Home
folder. If the User's Account Name is "Bob" then the files would be
located in the following directory: /Users/Bob/Library/Preferences/

The files in question are:
com.digidesign.protools.plist
DAE Prefs
DigiSetup.OSX
Pro Tools v6.0 Preferences

com.digidesign.protools.plist - saves information on various window settings
(such as New Session, Save Session, Import Audio, etc...)
DAE Prefs - saves information on which plug-ins are installed
DigiSetup.OSX - saves information on what hardware is installed
Pro Tools v6.0 Preferences - saves basic Pro Tools settings

I would start with trashing the DAE Prefs file and starting ProTools and see
if that helped. If not then Quit PT and move all of the Digidesign
preference files, including the DAE Preferences."
Old 01-27-2004, 03:07 PM

Hey Andy:

thx for the heads up on those pref files...but no joy...

trashed 'em all, then booted up a "clean" session (i.e., w/ no Spectrasonics plugs inserted on the tracks) and then tried to load one of 'em...

and the same "unexpected" crash occurs...

near the top of the report a "kernel protection fault" is indicated...

You say its happened more than once to you...so that means even after I can resolve this problem, I"ll need to never save any sessions, w/ a Spectra plug sitting on an insert....(drag)...

btw, couldn't find the tech support contact access point anywhere on the spectrasonics.net website...how'd you get your help from them...?

thx

Kirk

Old 01-28-2004, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Spectrasonic plugs crashing Accel/G5 - Solved

Hi Andy (et. al.)

I got mail from the Spectrasonics tech support guy (Brent Chun) and it included one more para at the end that you didn't mention...being if nothing else works, then after trashing all those prefs, reboot w/ the OSX CD and repair all permissions...

worked like a charm (so far)....

thx again,

Kirk
Old 01-28-2004, 06:37 AM

Kirk,

which parameter was it?

Thanks

Busch.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:50 PM

Hi. I have a similar problem.

Here's my setup.

Dual 1.8 G5 - 1.5GB - dual 160 ATA - 17inch studio display - HD3 Accel, 3 192's, 1 MIDI I/O, 3 Pre's.

Clean install of PT 6.2.2 and OS10.3.2. Installed HD Pack 5.0. Works fine. Works fine for several hours.

I have Stylus and Atmosphere. I installed stylus first. As soon as that was installed, PT started to crash "unexpectedly". Not all the time...but enough. Maybe 1 time in 5.

Re-imaged my drive...same thing. Works fine without stylus...stylys installs...crashes start.

I have not yete spoken to Spectrasonics. I have always found them helpful. Let me know if you find anything.

Jason
Old 01-29-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Spectrasonic plugs crashing Accel/G5 - Solved

Hi Busch:

in my email "para" referred to "paragraph"....i.e., paragraph in Spectrasonics' email advise, being what I mentioned, that permissions should be repaired w/ the disk utility (which is ALOT simpler than what I was doing to save my old sessions - i.e., import session data into a brand new session...bec. in doing that its by trial and error that you find out on which tracks some Spectrasonics plugs were negligently left even though all tracking was completed)....

do you have this problem...? (I remain concerned a bit bec. even tho repairing permission turns out to be pretty painless, well...its scary to imagine being shut out of a session w/ alot of work in it...

Kirk
Old 01-29-2004, 01:50 AM

Default Spectrasonic plugs crashing Accel on a G5

Hi Jason:

Repairing permissions turned out to be so easy that it seems like you're hitting a fly with a sledge hammer w/ the disk imaging and re-installing actions....

I didn't have to de-install or re-install any of these 3 plugs (which takes lots of time as you know, tho much less on a G5 I was pleased to find).

hope this helps...

Kirk
Old 01-29-2004, 07:08 AM

Hi Kirk,

I've had so many issues with the various soft synths with OSX/PT 6 I've pretty much given up. Now with PT 6.2.2. and OSX 10.3.1 (on an unsupported G4) I've got very good stability as long as I stay away from the 3rd party soft synths. I run all of them on a Giga PC which is very stable. Maybe at some point I'll try them again but having the synths on a separate computer, with their own display/CPU/HD etc. does have MANY advantages.

So my interest in the question is to get all the info I need should start using them again. I think it's nice to have Stylus on the PT computer, but see less of a reason for Atmosphere and Trilogy.

Busch.