Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2015, 06:50 PM

Default Plugin Error Message

Whenever I try to select presets in any plugin (including AIR and Audiosuite), I get the following error message:

Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", line 237

I am running 11.3 on an i5 laptop, 4GB RAM, Win 7 64 on a 256GB SSD

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Plugin Error Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfhorn63 View Post
Whenever I try to select presets in any plugin (including AIR and Audiosuite), I get the following error message:

Assertion in "..\ ..\ Sys\ Win32\ Sys_VolumeWin32.cpp", line 237

I am running 11.3 on an i5 laptop, 4GB RAM, Win 7 64 on a 256GB SSD

Thanks in advance!
Not enough ram - PT11 wants to see a minimum of 8 gig. And an i5 cpu is another issue; PT11 also wants to see an i7 chip. Of course there could be other issues like are you working with a separate drive for PT or just working with the system drive? That is a definite no-no. Separate drives, please.

QAPLA!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info. I coordinated with our IT guys to make sure that our new PCs conformed to Pro Tools specs, but it looks like there are RAM issues with those machines, and RAM CPU issues with my laptop.

Looks like I'm off to my chair to beg for money...

Anyway, I've attached a screen of the error I am getting with our lab desktops, along with a Sandra on those machines.

Though I'm sure you are right about my laptop, I'll attach one for it as well.

Thank you for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aae error 6.jpg (65.3 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SiSoftware Sandra AM153 PC.pdf (103.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf SiSoftware Sandra Laptop.pdf (190.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I coordinated with our IT guys to make sure that our new PCs conformed to Pro Tools specs, but it looks like there are RAM issues with those machines, and RAM CPU issues with my laptop.

Looks like I'm off to my chair to beg for money...

Anyway, I've attached a screen of the error I am getting with our lab desktops, along with a Sandra on those machines.

Though I'm sure you are right about my laptop, I'll attach one for it as well.

Thank you for your help!
Hate to say it but your IT people apparently don't know squat about what it takes for PT 11 to run correctly or they wouldn't have machines with poor specs into the hands of end users.

QAPLA!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:43 PM

Thanks again, Jack.
My IT people got the specs from me, from the Avid site, which indicated 4GB RAM minimum, with 8 as recommended. The university was getting a big package deal, with similar specs, and I was fortunate to get AT-type desktops, so that I could put the iLoks inside the machine with an internal USB port card. Helps students not lose them...
I had the i5 laptop prior to our upgrade from PT 9 to 11- I am already looking at RAM upgrades, but a new CPU is probably out of the question, at least for now. I am hoping that 8GB RAM will get me functional again.

The i3 desktops in the lab are more of an issue. We won't be recording with them, but my students need to be able to complete post projects, especially those at the end of PT 101. I will possibly be able to upgrade the RAM this year, but 13 i7 CPUs? Not likely. At least until I can write a grant to get all our machines well above par for running PT for the foreseeable future.

This has been embarrassing for me personally, as I have been passionately advocating for upgrades to our tech capabilities since taking this position 4 years ago. I appreciate your continued help. Do you think that given our machine specs, upgraded to 8GB RAM, we will at least be able to process sessions with at least 2-3 inserts, post-fade?

Cheers!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks again, Jack.
My IT people got the specs from me, from the Avid site, which indicated 4GB RAM minimum, with 8 as recommended. The university was getting a big package deal, with similar specs, and I was fortunate to get AT-type desktops, so that I could put the iLoks inside the machine with an internal USB port card. Helps students not lose them...
I had the i5 laptop prior to our upgrade from PT 9 to 11- I am already looking at RAM upgrades, but a new CPU is probably out of the question, at least for now. I am hoping that 8GB RAM will get me functional again.

The i3 desktops in the lab are more of an issue. We won't be recording with them, but my students need to be able to complete post projects, especially those at the end of PT 101. I will possibly be able to upgrade the RAM this year, but 13 i7 CPUs? Not likely. At least until I can write a grant to get all our machines well above par for running PT for the foreseeable future.

This has been embarrassing for me personally, as I have been passionately advocating for upgrades to our tech capabilities since taking this position 4 years ago. I appreciate your continued help. Do you think that given our machine specs, upgraded to 8GB RAM, we will at least be able to process sessions with at least 2-3 inserts, post-fade?

Cheers!
Depends on the type of plugins and size of session, especially given those i5 cpu chips. And i3 chips - those will be fatal to getting any type of work done. Recording or not - the students will have more frustrations than trying to cram studying for finals in nuclear physics (or having to memorize the periodic table - don't laugh as I had to do that in high school chem class). If you're doing the PT101 course book that's available to the general public you should be okay. If you're using impulse response type reverbs that will eat your cpu power like there's no tomorrow. Reverbs of any stripe tend to be cpu intensive because of all the calculation going on.

Take a lesson from Scotty of Star Trek fame - never give anyone minimum specs. Always shoot for the recommended or over.

QAPLA!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:33 AM

higher education IT, kill me now

basic rule: always take the min speck and double it

education IT rule: take the min speck and multiply by 10

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Thanks for all the help.

We will be sticking to PT101 activities for another year, before I will want to get into meatier projects. I will look into writing a grant for faster machines. Since my school had a big package deal with Dell for the PCs, I didn't think I would have any options to influence what we got. Lesson learned, there.

Looks like we'll be able to beef up our RAM to 8GB, but for now, I'm stuck with the i3 chips in the lab.
Thanks for the guidance on reverb- we'll try to steer clear of plugins that might blow up the CPU.

Within the Audiosuite and AIR collection, are there specific plugins for reverb that are not inordinate CPU hogs? Are the specific plugins, other than mentioned before, that we should also avoid?

Breat community, this. I appreciate all your advice!