Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 AM

Default questions on running a hybrid system mac & pc w/pt

ok folks here is what im doing. i am gonna be running a macbook pro 2ghz w/ the intel duo core w/ 1.5 gigs of ram
i am gonna be using a digi 002 on my macbook w/ a 200gb external glyph drive. the macbook (or "mb for short") is going to be solely dedicated to pro tools only and thats it. no "reason, ableton" or any of those programs will be used..

on my pc which i will be using either an "amd 3600" processor or a "pentium 4 3ghz processor"
the p4 is sightly faster than the amd but it tends to get hotter and thus i will have to use @least 2 fans to cool it down, which equal to more noise in the studio..
so i am more than likely going to use the "amd 3600 processor"
so pretty much the pc will be
-3ghz
-2 gigs of ddr2 ram
-sony dvdr/cdrw drive
-internal zip drive
-floppy card drive with multimedia card reader (for sd, and other type cards)
-160gb internal hard drive 7200 rpms
-60 gb internal hard drive 7200 rpms
the card i am gonna be using is an "emu 1212m" card.. the reason i picked this card is because for the price, specs and reviews it got it seems like the right choice.. basically what i was looking for was a card that had "adat lightpipe" so i can dump what ive done on the pc into pt via digital "8 tracks @ a time" and avoid any digital to analog conversion which would result in loss of db. i had an mbox 2 pro and sent it back after 2 days cause the only digital inputs it had is "spdif" and that would be extremely time consuming due to the fact that "spdif" is only left and right..

on the pc i will be running
-giga sampler
-reason 3.0
-spectrasonics trilogy & atmosphere
-ableton live
-absynth
-acid pro
-and a variety of other soft synths.

thse are the specs on the emu 1212m card :
E-DSP Hardware-accelerated Effects, Mixing and Monitoring:
E-MU's Digital Audio Systems feature the powerful E-DSP chipset, which features a hardware-accelerated effects processor with over 20 effects plug-ins (over 500 presets). This effects architecture is fully expandable, allowing you to add more effect plug-ins to your system as needed. E-DSP also provides zero-latency, hardware-based mixing and monitoring via the included PatchMix DSP mixer, delivering unmatched flexibility in routing audio between all of your physical and virtual (ASIO/WDM) inputs and outputs- no external mixer needed.

E-MU 1212M Effects Plug-ins:
1-Band Para EQ
1-Band Shelf EQ
3-Band EQ
4-Band EQ
Auto-Wah
Chorus
Compressor
Distortion
Distortion
Freq Shifter
Leveling Amp
Mono Delay 100
Mono Delay 3000
Stereo Delay 100
Stereo Delay 1500
Phase Shifter
Rotary
Speaker Simulator
Stereo Reverb
Vocal Morpher

E-MU 1212M I/O Configuration:
Two 1/4" Balanced Inputs
24-bit/192kHz ADAT In/Out (switchable to S/PDIF)
24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF In/Out (switchable to AES/EBU)
MIDI In/Out

i basically dont care about the card only having 2 1/4" inputs cause the only outboard gear i will be using is an "asr x pro" as one of my outboard samplers and i have a scsi card for it so i can dump my samples via scsi into the pc and edit them that way.
the other piece of outboard gear i will be using is an "akai mpc1000".
with 2 midi in's and 2 midi outs and a flawless and easy to use sequencer it will be used to lock up both the pc, asr x and the mac together. the mpc will be my other outboard sampler which i can use to do sample dumps via usb. so basically i am using the emu 1212m card primarily cause of its "adat lightpipe" abilities. the 2 1/4" inputs on the card will be hooked up to my turntable mixers output to which i have my technics 1200 decks connected to.

whenver i am recording a vocalist, guitarist, etc. i will use the 002 to record directly into pro tools..
and finish mixing in pt.

whhheeewww.. my fingers are tired
i basically would like some help or suggestions on this setup..i believe in doing things the right way and not half assed
i feel i am going the right route but i am always open to suggestions
thanks for taking the time to read this very long
but hopefully interesting post..
Old 02-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: questions on running a hybrid system mac & pc w/pt

wow.. im a little surprised no one has replied...
Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: questions on running a hybrid system mac & pc w/pt

still no answer?