Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 01:33 AM

Default iChat at all anybody

Hi there,

Just a courtesy question (since I'll go and get a Griffin iMic tomorrow anyhow):
Has anyone on this board had any success getting iChat to work (Video+Sound) on say a G5/DIGI002R and the (!@#$%&*) CoreAudio?

For reasons beyond my actual knowledge when iChat opens and wants to trigger Digi CoreAudio, which I start first usually, and set on 512, keeps switching itself to 1024 (which happens frequently with other apps as well, but with slightly different behaviour, since I can just fiddle about with it and eventually it will lock into the buffers I want, but with iChat even that doesn't seem to work).
As soon as I am connected with the other 'line' I get a pretty ugly hum on my monitors/headphones and nothing seems to really work. I think I mucked around with every single setting available ... but now I am 100% it is down to the CoreAudio server/driver (what is really?)

I do experience this problem now for a long long time.

Well - I know: iChat is NOT necessarily a PRO-APP and we all do know that Digi stuff is meant to be worked out for (semi-)pro applications, but then ... shouldn't the simple stuff work to start off with? And being a solid piece of Apple software (I easily get it to work with build in stuff and MOTU gear etc), I don't fully understand as to whether we're talking a bug or a feature here?!?!

Don't get me wrong - I use the Digi for recording in a project studio ... but being not really the cheapest of equipment you can get I really thought there shouldn't be a problem using it for a simple task like this as a side dish ... :-(

Well - I'll have to go tomorrow and get myself a Griffin iMic (for 120 Aussie dollars) and a standard headphone headset (30 bucks at the local PC store) and I hope I'll be all set up for my private little play around with iChat (in fact familie communication Australia/Germany). It just really quite [bleep] me having spend a few grant on audio gear and now having to go again and spend money on 'novice' gear. Kinda strange and annoying. Plus more cables, adapters, power supplies, etc .....

Anyhow - if anyone's having a good idea until tomorrow I'd appreciate it ... but even if that won't be the case: Digidesign - is there any way of improvement to be expected soon out of this (still misbehaving) CoreAudio - I mean, I've been waiting now since August 2003 for some suitable and working CoreAudio stuff ... any timeframe for a proper one?

Cheers,
Franky
Old 02-24-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: iChat at all anybody

Yeah, I have this exact same problem w/iChat and CoreAudio through my MBox. Drives me nuts. I bounce around through so many apps during my day that it's impractical to keep my MBox unplugged until I need it....I really wish someone would fix this!
San Diego, CA
Old 03-02-2005, 03:24 AM

Hey Guys,
Mine always crashes & holds the "boip" noise when someone sends me a message :-(

Cheers
Cutsville
Old 03-02-2005, 09:56 PM

Yeah - I got the same thing. It seems like Digidesign always has *something*
that does not work. I can't understand how you can screw up core audio drivers.

I am wondering if we can just take the audio output from the Mac and run this into the
dedicated i/o without running a pro tools session?
Anyone know?