Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 05:06 PM

Default Carbon with OctoPre

I'm adding the Focusrite OctoPre to my Carbon. Adding the 8 Pres via ADAT. Anyone know the correct clocking setup to follow here? The Focusrite info has several options...Avid says keep the Carbon as the master. My small brain is confused on this one.

From the OctoPre manual:
Digital Synchronisation
Two synchronisation options are available: Clarett+ OctoPre as clock leader:
Connect the OctoPre to the receiving device via the OPTICAL OUT port(s) and ensure the receiving device is set to source its clock from its ADAT input (and the sample rates on both devices match).

On the OctoPre, SYNC should be set to INTERNAL and the LED will illuminate.

An alternative method is to synchronise the receiving device to the Clarett+ OctoPre’s WORD CLOCK OUT using a BNC cable. The receiving device’s sync source will need to be set to its external word clock input.

Clarett+ OctoPre as clock follower:
Connect the OctoPre to your interface via the OPTICAL OUT port(s) and connect a BNC cable from the digital system’s word clock leader to the OctoPre’s WORD CLOCK IN connector (also ensuring the sample rates on all devices match).

On the OctoPre, SYNC should be set to W/CLOCK and the LED will illuminate.

From the Carbon manual:
To record or monitor signals from an external digital source, use Avid Carbon Central to select the correct clock source. In most other cases, leave the primary Pro Tools | Carbon device set to its Internal clock. Then, configure external devices to follow the internal clock of Pro Tools | Carbon.

ProTools Ultimate 2024.3
Carbon
Mac mini M2 Pro Sonoma
Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Crawford1; 03-23-2024 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-23-2024, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Carbon with OctoPre

Sync the Octopre to the carbon via word clock. This means the Carbon will be master and the Octopre will follow any sample rate changes. This will also guard against possible sample rate mismatches between your hardware and Pro Tools sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-24-2024, 04:43 AM

WC is best, but if you have trouble getting WC cables, or you happen to have a bunch of ADAT cables and just want to get up and running, then.....

if it's a Clarett Octopre, you can use ADAT instead of WC, but you still want Carbon to be the master, and you will need ADAT cables going both in and out of the Octopre, so that clock can be carried from Carbon to Octopre. So, 2 cables for 44.1/48k (one in each direction) or 4 cables for 88.2/96k (two in each direction).

(ADAT cables can carry both audio signal and clock, but in one direction only).

Scarlett Octopre - you will have to use WC, as there is no ADAT in on the Scarlett.

Dominic
Old 03-25-2024, 08:53 AM

Got it. I'm going with word clock out of Carbon into the OctoPre. Assuming you set the Carbon as INTERNAL in the AMS (and not to WC). Thanks for the help.

ProTools Ultimate 2024.3
Carbon
Mac mini M2 Pro Sonoma
Focusrite Clarett+ OctoPre
Old 03-25-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford1 View Post
Got it. I'm going with word clock out of Carbon into the OctoPre. Assuming you set the Carbon as INTERNAL in the AMS (and not to WC). Thanks for the help.
Yes, I use Carbon Central, so I'd set it to Internal there (i.e. unchanged) - I can't remember if AMS has the same options, but I imagine there is no need to alter anything. The Focusrite is where you will have to select an option to receive clock over WC.

Dominic
Old 04-06-2024, 05:47 PM

Be aware Clarett will not follow samplerate changes. You'll still need to manually set it to match Carbon.