Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2024, 03:46 PM

Default Performance Degradation with Carbon and Sonoma?

I was excited to see the new version of Pro Tools (2024.3) out today. One of the features is "compatibility with MacOS Sonoma". But it seems to be limited for Carbon users.

In case you don't regularly pour over the Release Notes, make sure you check this one out.

Pro Tools 2024.3 support with macOS 14.3.1 Sonoma (Known Issues)

Specifically this line:

"Pro Tools | Carbon can experience performance degradation and potential dropouts"

Fairly vague, but stopped me cold.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-07-2024, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Performance Degradation with Carbon and Sonoma?

I seen that also, can a avid tech weigh- in on this issue? I have a carbon interface and would like to install this upgrade.
Thanks , Tony
Old 03-07-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw7 View Post
I seen that also, can a avid tech weigh- in on this issue? I have a carbon interface and would like to install this upgrade.
Thanks , Tony
I agree. If there could be a little more specificity, it might help us decide if the problems are likely to plague us, as individual users with differing workflows.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 03-07-2024, 05:44 PM

I've heard from other developers that Apple has messed with the network stack in Sonoma. (this is often a thing with them where they break things between versions.) Since the Carbon depends on the network stack and certain AVB implemented features, that's probably the issue.

But also realize that Apple released a new Sonoma today too which was probably not part of the testing bed of Pro Tools (unless some of the beta testers were running a RC version of this new macOS release AND were using a Carbon.)
So it's possible Apple also fixed what it broke.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:03 AM

Production Expert stated this morning,

Multiple reports are beginning to come in from clients about a compatibility issue with yesterday's release of macOS 14.4 Sonoma on Apple Silicon Macs so caution is advised before upgrading to this point release.

https://www.production-expert.com/pr...aoj6-C2m8TDjuc
Old 03-08-2024, 06:12 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I was excited to see the new version of Pro Tools (2024.3) out today. One of the features is "compatibility with MacOS Sonoma". But it seems to be limited for Carbon users.

In case you don't regularly pour over the Release Notes, make sure you check this one out.

Pro Tools 2024.3 support with macOS 14.3.1 Sonoma (Known Issues)

Specifically this line:

"Pro Tools | Carbon can experience performance degradation and potential dropouts"

Fairly vague, but stopped me cold.
Kerry and Tony

Mark who is the Product Owner for Carbon periodically pops in but I did send him a note this am and ask that he check this link today if he can and respond.

I also sent the Apple info a few of you posted to a few developers and our testing guru to see what they know about 14.4 .....

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 03-08-2024, 07:31 AM
Avid

Hey all

There is an Apple AVB bug that shows degraded the performance for Carbon with Sonoma.

In our testing, we see signal drop outs across most Sample Rates and Hardware Buffer sizes when there is heavy load placed on Carbon. Sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes over a long duration.

A typical test session has 16 tracks in DSP mode along with 32+ tracks in record.

Can you use Carbon with Sonoma.... sure, but I didn't feel comfortable qualifying with this kind of behavior.

However, if you have a bit more flexibility and tolerance in your workflow, then Sonoma should be fine.

So Pro Tools 24.3 works great with Carbon... but Carbon on Sonoma does not work great. We qualify hardware for OS separately from Pro Tools for OS. In Carbon's case, it is always logged here:

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...s#requirements

I hope this is helpful for you all!

mark
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 03-08-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw7 View Post
Production Expert stated this morning,

Multiple reports are beginning to come in from clients about a compatibility issue with yesterday's release of macOS 14.4 Sonoma on Apple Silicon Macs so caution is advised before upgrading to this point release.

https://www.production-expert.com/pr...aoj6-C2m8TDjuc
Caution is well-advised, but the particular problem highlighted in that article is with iLok and AU plugins. So, not relevant to Pro Tools.

Dominic
Old 03-08-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey all

There is an Apple AVB bug that shows degraded the performance for Carbon with Sonoma.

In our testing, we see signal drop outs across most Sample Rates and Hardware Buffer sizes when there is heavy load placed on Carbon. Sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes over a long duration.

A typical test session has 16 tracks in DSP mode along with 32+ tracks in record.

Can you use Carbon with Sonoma.... sure, but I didn't feel comfortable qualifying with this kind of behavior.

However, if you have a bit more flexibility and tolerance in your workflow, then Sonoma should be fine.

So Pro Tools 24.3 works great with Carbon... but Carbon on Sonoma does not work great. We qualify hardware for OS separately from Pro Tools for OS. In Carbon's case, it is always logged here:

mark
Thanks Mark, it's always good to get the details.

Dominic
Old 03-08-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey all

mark
Thanks Mark! Looking forward to the all-clear whenever it's ready.