Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2023, 01:12 PM

Default Re: DSP plugins not working on master fader

By "no matter what plugin" I am referring to putting any DSP plugin I own by any manufacturer on a master fader.

My understanding is I am not in DSP safe mode.

To explain why I need it to route it this way is beyond the scope of an internet thread. I have been using my template with Carbon for over a year routing master faders with plugins to audio tracks without this issue on my last system. I've actually been using this type of routing for over a decade in pro tools and it's required for my workflow.

As it stands this issue is preventing me from being able to use DSP plugins at all.
I have opened a ticket with Avid but it's in the beginning phases still.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymixer View Post
By "no matter what plugin" I am referring to putting any DSP plugin I own by any manufacturer on a master fader.

My understanding is I am not in DSP safe mode.

To explain why I need it to route it this way is beyond the scope of an internet thread. I have been using my template with Carbon for over a year routing master faders with plugins to audio tracks without this issue on my last system. I've actually been using this type of routing for over a decade in pro tools and it's required for my workflow.

As it stands this issue is preventing me from being able to use DSP plugins at all.
I have opened a ticket with Avid but it's in the beginning phases still.
Ok so I don't do stems so no need to explain why you use a Master for them.

And now that you have finally disclosed that you had been doing it before and it was working fine, then that does suggest that it could then possibly be something with new Mac system, new OS version, and PT version. So hopefully avid can get it sorted for you

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 07-16-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Ok so I don't do stems so no need to explain why you use a Master for them.

And now that you have finally disclosed that you had been doing it before and it was working fine, then that does suggest that it could then possibly be something with new Mac system, new OS version, and PT version. So hopefully avid can get it sorted for you
Yeah I think the first big question to try and pin down is if this is a Ventura issue or something to do with the new M2 hardware.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymixer View Post
Yeah I think the first big question to try and pin down is if this is a Ventura issue or something to do with the new M2 hardware.
You said "DSP plugin by any manufacturer". But have you tried it with an Avid plugin ? Because there still could be an issue with any plugin that is not ported over to run on Apple silicon that is still wanting to be run using Rosetta mode. Or it could possibly be an issue with any plug in that needs Rosetta being in your plugin folder (even it not instantiated on the Master) since current version PT launches in Apple silicon by default

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 07-17-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
You said "DSP plugin by any manufacturer". But have you tried it with an Avid plugin ? Because there still could be an issue with any plugin that is not ported over to run on Apple silicon that is still wanting to be run using Rosetta mode. Or it could possibly be an issue with any plug in that needs Rosetta being in your plugin folder (even it not instantiated on the Master) since current version PT launches in Apple silicon by default
Just tried again with only Avid plugins and have all the same issues. I'm booted up without Rosetta so only Apple Silicon plugins are active. Cycling a track in and out of input mode fixes the problem for a moment but then after working for a little while the problem reverts - not sure what causes that to happen. One of the biggest issues for me is when I open a session I have to go hunt down all the plugins that aren't being heard.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:18 AM

Not directly related to your problem, but the first time I've found something about plug-ins not activating..........

From the 2023.6 Release Notes for Mac.

DSP Mode
(HDX Hybrid Engine and Pro Tools | Carbon Only)
Inserting Default EQ/DYN plug-ins on DSP Mode–enabled track results in no plug-in processing. (PT-281621)
When an AAX-DSP plug-in is selected as the Default EQ or Default Dynamics plug-in in the Pro Tools Preferences (Setup > Preferences > Mixing), recalling that plug-in on a DSP Mode–enabled track results in no plug-in processing. Adjusting the plug-in controls has no effect the signal and the Plug-in DSP indicator displays incorrectly (“Native” on a green background). If you encounter this issue, dis- able and then enable DSP Mode on the track or re-insert the DSP version of the plug-in on the track.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:33 PM

Thanks Dominic. Definitely a problem in the same universe.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:29 PM

Well the new update has not fixed my issue here. Absolutely infuriating that every time I open a session all my DSP plugins on Master Faders do not work even though my whole system is now qualified by Avid. I feel like they are just making me a Beta Tester as their only communication with me in the last few months has been "Hey we released a new update, did it fix your problem?"