Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2000, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE

This just goes back to YOUR needs:

1. I use Cubase for some types of writing and use it's excellent midi functions. I rarely do audio in it - it's VERY weak (although supposedly much better with 5.0). VSTi is pretty cool as are rex files.

2. I use PTLE for my more "professional" stuff with paying clients. If I'm doing mainly audio, there's no comparison, but it's a little weak on the midi side. Some of the newer features that will be introduced in 5.1 (January?) will make it a lot better in that area.

Cubase will still crash more on my machine than PTLE. I don't think PTLE has crashed on me in several months of regular use, whereas Cubase crashes about once a week - or more.

As far as plugins goes, some companies (such as Waves) give you ALL available formats when you buy their package. I have the Native Gold bundle and have MAS, RTAS, and VST formats included in the price. This is also true for my Native Instruments' B4. Other companies may have a "cross-grade fee" - if it's even available in multiple formats.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 12-12-2000, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE

good points iwilliam.Id only add that the improvements in 5.1's le are anticlimactic to me in liue of the fact that theyve cut beat detective and surround sound from it.Pt is the better choice for clients audio needs.

i prefer cubase 5.0 as a musician/composer who appreciates the profluence of cheap/free vst plugs as well as quality such as waves.I dont deal with clients though(i have in the past).the 5.1 upgrade to me pales in comparison to cubase 5.0 from what ive heard.pt is still the king of pro audio but i need more options to explore creativity.