Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Default Any other RME UFX/PT10 users? I'm having lots o'problems...

Just wanted to see if anyone with a similar setup is having any luck with this combo.

I recently made the jump to PT10... mostly to enjoy the improved performance and greater stability... so far, that's not working out so well. I've been a PT user since version 5 (installing/using every release since 5.2) and I have never had as many issues as I am having right now. In fact, I've rarely had any issues whatsoever (maybe I've been lucky) other than the more *known* and more widespread bugs which had cropped up every once in a while upon a new version release. I am coming from PT9, which has been great as well.

So far, I can't really pinpoint where the actual issue is. And I have done most all of the troubleshooting tips (beyond removing plugins... the next step, and completely wiping my drive and reinstalling everything... which isn't happen going to happen right now).

Issues:

- PT10 has been crashing often. Usually when stopping recording after 5 or 6 takes... or when selecting something... such as highlighting a track, or a plugin option, or changing preferences... and more... it's pretty random stuff. The most consistent issue has been when I stop recording after a bunch of takes.

- I can't record/playback at all at buffer sizes lower than 512 (it won't even play), which is ridiculous since I used to be able to record at at least 128 previously. Anything below 512 throws -6101 errors and occasionally another (think it was a -90xx something) on playback... even if all plugs are disabled.

- Sometimes it hangs when opening a session while doing something like activating an insert on a track and I have to force quit to get out of it. This is pretty random, and happens even after just opening PT... and can happen to a session that I had opened previously, and can open without an issue after force quitting.

Technical stuff...

- Computer is as follows:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 12 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

- OSX 10.6.8

- Audio is recorded/played back to/from another internal 1TB, 7200RPM drive w/16mb cache.

- RME UFX drivers are all the latest available. Is is attached to the Mac Pro directly via Firewire (nothing in between and nothing else on the FW bus).

Troubleshooting so far...

- Run the system Disk Utility... repair prefs, disk, etc.

- Deleted all of the suggested PT prefs/db's, etc.

- Uninstalled PT and reinstalled 3 times now.

- I've changed the processor count and CPU limits to about every possible combination with no difference.

- I've tried having the UFX selected in the playback option prefs, as well as having the UFX selected as an Aggregate Device.

I'm going to remove 3rd party plugins and see if that does anything. Then, I may try hooking the UFX up via USB instead of FW to see if that makes a difference... though I have my doubts since it feels more software related to me. Beyond that (and wiping/re-installing everything... which is pretty much a total nightmare), I'm just about at complete loss. While it was stable, I'd hate to go back to 9 since I've spent the money on 10 already.

Any thoughts/input from anyone would be appreciated.
---
c
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Any other RME UFX/PT10 users? I'm having lots o'problems...

I'm using the Fireface800 (obviously Firewire connected) with the same machine, although 10.7.2 and it's working like a dream. i have it set to 5 processors and can run it down to 32 samples.
Have you tried removing all of the 3rd party plugs temporarily? That would be the first thing I'd try. I've found PT to be temperamental with some.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 AM

I have a different machine, but the rme ufx with mac osx 10.6.8 pt10 and it works like charm.
Although my ufx is connected via usb as it gave me lower cpu usage on mac. My guess is that your issue is not really connected to the rme card.
Try to attach the ufx via usb, but I think it might be some software issue.
You could try to completely unplug the ufx and use some other cards. If the problem persist, then you will know that rme card has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Well, I removed all of the 3rd party plugs and that didn't seem to make much, if any difference. I still don't seem to be getting the performance I should be and still getting the errors and occasional crashes.

I also tried a different FW port on my machine (on the front instead of back)... no help.

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the Novation Automap software I have installed, which wraps all the plugins o that they can be mapped to my Novation controller. I'm going to uninstall that and see if there's any difference.

It seems most people are running using USB and have had good luck with that, so, I may give that a try as well if the Automap thing doesn't make a difference.

I've also installed PT10 on my newer Macbook Pro to see how it performs on there... planning on giving that a go later on today.
---
c