Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Default Re: What's missing in PT11?

1. A scissors tool! Like when you split a MIDI-file (B), it also split the midi-notes, just as it does with audio. It's should be a standard basic feature and it's ridiculous that it's missing.

(No, I never ever use the far too small view that allows it. I want to be able to do it in the default view)

2. A way to make a loop in the same,easy way as in Logic. Just click, draw the selection (up in the markers area) and it makes a cycle-loop.

(Coming from 15 years of Logic, composing and songwritning, using alot of MIDI, I really miss those two features among some others)
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
1. A scissors tool! Like when you split a MIDI-file (B), it also split the midi-notes, just as it does with audio. It's should be a standard basic feature and it's ridiculous that it's missing.
I agree it doesn't work well when splitting MIDI clips. It should split notes as well (or have an option to do so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by podusa View Post
2. A way to make a loop in the same,easy way as in Logic. Just click, draw the selection (up in the markers area) and it makes a cycle-loop.
Try to unlink Timeline and Edit Selection (shift + ' / ' ) and activate Loop playback (shift + cmd + ' L '). This should work fine.
PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MBP)
PT 10.3.10 / PT11.3.2 / PT12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.8.5 (MM "Production" on SSD)
PT 12.4 / VEP5.3.1 / MacOSX.11.1 (MM "test" on HDD)
RME UFX (USB2 with MM and Firewire with MBP)
+ Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on PC Q6600/8Gb/Win7-Pro64-SP1
Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 AM

What I really miss in PT 11 is VST and AU support. I just cant seem to find the logic on NOT having these plugins as options when you think of PT 11 as a tool. For me PT 11 is not a complete tool as it is now, thus forcing me to do all sorts of short cuts to get the options in the daw that I want it to have. E.g. run plugins in Reaper or VEP with all the limitations in automation, work flow speed and thus lost money as a consequence.

For me PT has always won on the workflow because it was easy and because it was fast, but Avid are limiting the software in a non-creative way where the software should ease the creativity and workflow, bringing it ahead of today's standards.

As a minimum, Avid could allow plugin manufacturers to make some sort of wrapper which could enable VST's and AU's (if the argument is stability, the could leave it to the user to decide whether or not they are willing to sacrifice a bit of stability for increased access to plugins!!!)
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM

no problems running AU and VST plugins in Pro Tools 11 here
Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
no problems running AU and VST plugins in Pro Tools 11 here
Not without some kind of workaround and VE Pro won't do both on the same platform (no vst on OSX and no AU on Windoze). You'd either have to use Magma or Ploque Bidule.

QAPLA!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
The Eleven Rack GUI is obviously missing and has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I'm mentioning it again here in the hope of it being implemented soon since there has still been no official statement (that I'm aware of) saying it will be.
???? Yes, they did state it will be at a later date about a month before 11 was released along w a few other things that were not ready.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 AM

The ability to resize plugins and oh yeah. How about something that actually looks like a mixing board. You could have presets where you can change the board type you want, say an SSL and get that character of it or and old Neve board etc. you could really change it up. I know I'm dreaming but.........

Disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnitz View Post
hi scotsman,

what is missing in pt11?

For us, it kills our tapeless workflow, is that we can't import audio from a mxf videofile.

Avid uses the media composer video engine in pro tools , but not the audio import funktionalität?

So we can't move to pt 11 with our 11 hd systems.

Regards

jochen
+10000!!!!
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Clemen View Post
What I really miss in PT 11 is VST and AU support. I just cant seem to find the logic on NOT having these plugins as options when you think of PT 11 as a tool. For me PT 11 is not a complete tool as it is now, thus forcing me to do all sorts of short cuts to get the options in the daw that I want it to have. E.g. run plugins in Reaper or VEP with all the limitations in automation, work flow speed and thus lost money as a consequence.

For me PT has always won on the workflow because it was easy and because it was fast, but Avid are limiting the software in a non-creative way where the software should ease the creativity and workflow, bringing it ahead of today's standards.

As a minimum, Avid could allow plugin manufacturers to make some sort of wrapper which could enable VST's and AU's (if the argument is stability, the could leave it to the user to decide whether or not they are willing to sacrifice a bit of stability for increased access to plugins!!!)
absolutely agree with everything stated.

------------------------------------------------------
¨WHERE´S MY CHECKBOOK?¨
https://soundcloud.com/louieshowers
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM

I own a 32 fader ProControl housed in a Argosy desk, without the 64 bit drivers it makes no bussines sence for me to upgrade now.
Lets see if this changes in the near future, for now, I can stay in PT10HD for a long time.