Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2023, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Feature request : 7.1.4 bus

Those of us using object beds REALLY want wider buss options, at least 7.1.4, but 9.1.6 or 9.1.4 would be rad, to mix into those busses and send the outputs to objects/speakers. Object beds are scalable and the wider busses would give us scalable beds. Pleeeeaaaase and thank you!
http://www.mckaygarner.com
Old 02-21-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carnes View Post
I know. We're just having fun.

Perhaps more on the music side, which is mainly where I am these days. There's a fear of objects, so I've know a few people who mix exclusively to the bed. Takes some persuading to get them into objects

I'm glad that iZotope are at work getting my old stuff ported over to M1. Matt's already got the Liquid stuff over there.

Just like me. Still beats the heck out of stereo ;-)

But you did post an interesting question: If you are mixing for a film/theater, do you want the audience in the front to hear a different mix(height bed) than the people in the back of theater?

I think the answer is a guarded "no". You certainly want to be able to hear everything--especially dialog. But you also want to have enough time cues and decorrelation to place the image around the room. You don't want so much variance in levels that the mix falls apart and something important isn't heard. But part of what makes an element sound "over there" is going to have an effect on your perception of the mix depending on where you sit. This is even more true in Atmos. I like the idea that sonically you're sitting in a spot with live action and music going on--rather like theater or opera.

I doubt we're in any serious disagreement there. But your question did get me to reflecting about how the nature of mixes has changed.
I love the discussion here among colleagues-:) My hope also is that we see the Renderer inside ProTools as Logic has done. Logic just does not have the facility that ProTools has in ATMOS. It's just not as great at all for audio editing and even surround/ATMOS handling with the lack of surround busses for stemming etc. I have a friend in Toronto who is a solid Logic guy on a large series and this is him saying this to me the other day. He is just finalizing his ATMOS room now in 7.1.4 and 9.1.6

Liquidsonics has really stepped up to accommodate all of us in this new world.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 02-21-2023 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:25 AM

Yaaaaaaaaay!!!!
2023.6 supports 7.1.4
and much more!

Thank you Pro Tools engineers.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 13.21.26.png (84.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-28-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Yes, but (sorry to tamp down your excitement) Dolby are still not playing along - and they have decided to not give us any beds larger than 7.1.2.
The only real practical use for the excellent new choices Avid have given us is as a 7.1.4 monitor return via Aux IO from the Renderer.
I run all analog synths and I/o and I like to eq and comp etc. whilst in the correct panning position. I understand this will take me 90% to a mix before I switch to the renderer and make objects and such. I can run at 32 samples buffer before I switch to the renderer.

I was hoping to run the 7.1.4 Dirac multichannel room correction while I do this but as so far I can only make it load as a 1.0 instead of 7.1.4 on the master bus or an aux bus. Not sure who's to blame right now but getting closer.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
If the answer to that question is really "no", then we should do away with Dolby Atmos in theaters altogether (and go back to Kubrickian mono), since every seat in the theater will be hearing a different perspective of the mix.
I think that's already a strong argument why Atmos and even surround is somewhat pointless - it's simply an expected delivery format and must be done, regardless.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I think that's already a strong argument why Atmos and even surround is somewhat pointless - it's simply an expected delivery format and must be done, regardless.
From a delivery standpoint, delivering a single ADM wav file or ATMOS file is a thousand times easier than having to delivery multiple stems via wav files or Pro Tools session and needing to name each individual file. IMO, deliveries, at least in the post world, should all be standardized to ADM files. You don't need to mix in "ATMOS" to deliver an ADM or .ATMOS file.

Last edited by its2loud; 06-29-2023 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
From a delivery standpoint, delivering a single ADM wav file or ATMOS file is a thousand times easier than having to delivery multiple stems via wav files or Pro Tools session and needing to name each individual file. IMO, deliveries, at least in the post world, should all be standardized to ADM files. You don't need to mix in "ATMOS" to deliver and ADM or .ATMOS file.
+1
Old 06-29-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
From a delivery standpoint, delivering a single ADM wav file or ATMOS file is a thousand times easier than having to delivery multiple stems via wav files or Pro Tools session and needing to name each individual file. IMO, deliveries, at least in the post world, should all be standardized to ADM files. You don't need to mix in "ATMOS" to deliver an ADM or .ATMOS file.
I was more commenting on the "pointlessness" of multichannel mixes when most listeners are not listening from the center of the sound field anyway, especially in a theater.. it's fun, but 90% of the work you do to make a great Atmos or surround mix goes out the window for almost everyone that listens to it.

I'm only half serious but was more referring to extrapolating arguments about theatergoers and 7.1.2 vs 7.1.4
Old 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM

"What if I already have something perfectly positioned on the x-y axis, and simply want to add some height (z) to it - more oriented towards the front. It cannot be done without using a send to a group of object paths assigned via Music Panner plugins to the ceiling."

No, you can easily automate a track from bus(bed) to an object.
Then pan or place the object where you want it.
Then easily automate it back to bus(bed)

I mix in Atmos virtually everyday(film/tv), and never once have used the Dolby Music Panner. But I use objects for panning, placement all the time.
Works great for me.

There are many ways to set it up.
i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSTsNzsGR9M
Uses objects for placement.
Not the way I work but an interesting approach.
Old 07-07-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
FabFilter have updated their plugins and extended support up to 9.1.6 paths for Pro-Q 3 and Pro-L 2
https://www.fabfilter.com/news/16886...-3-and-pro-l-2

C'mon Dolby. We're waiting for extended beds.
Michael Carnes stated it very well in post #6 in this thread.
It's not gonna happen any time soon. Just use static height object bed in conjunction with a 7.1 bed.

PT tools 7.1.4 Aux track output to 7.1 + 4 height objects front and back.

Then pan anywhere you want to when sending to that Aux 7.1.4 track