Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Default Got a nasty surprise today... :( Non-Support

I'm new to Pro Tools. 2 months now. I've been using Reaper for 6 years and still do, but I added PT11 to my arsenal.

Odd problem for me. If I have a pop or a click in a plugin, or I do something stupid that drives the volume up REALLY loud, the master track mutes. I have to disable the Master, and re-enable it, and the audio comes back. The tracks all show the meters moving, and normal DAW activity, but no sound until I do that.

I had a 'free' support ticked that I could open. It's valid for 90 days after purchase, so I thought... "Why Not?"

My computer works fine in all areas. It's a dedicated DAW, and runs superbly other than this oddity.

So I opened a ticket and sent in the MsInfo and PT log as requested. They wrote back and said that AMD processors are not 'really' supported, and that they can't offer any more than basic support because of that. Basic support is 're-install PT and your drivers, and have a good day.'

Just so you know, I've been doing Lan/Wan and desktop support for YEARS. So I understand the need for standards. One job I did required that I build a Windows image for Windows desktops that up to 4000 people would use. So I understand standards. And how it affects support. However, if there was a product that we didn't support, we told people. If they had a business justification, fine, but we didn't support it. That's pretty normal in corporate business.

But, when I bought my support package, that wasn't a point that was brought up. Pro Tools installer didn't tell me that!

I understand the broad user base that Avid supports... but tell me up front, or don't take my money. Not after the fact.

By the way, this isn't an Intel vs AMD debate. I use and support both. My next build will be an i7...

Just a frustrating way to start the day... but there's always Reaper... :)

Thanks for letting me vent.
JBL LSR-308 Monitors
Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Question Re: Got a nasty surprise today... :( Non-Support

I understand this can be frustrating. Looks like from the case that the rep tried to assist after pointing out it could be related to the computer.

Do you have any additional plug-ins installed?

Is this occurring with any interface or built-in audio/card?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Got a nasty surprise today... :( Non-Support

It's with an Echo interface. I haven't tried it with my Pro40 interface yet.

I'll sort it out one of these days. Remove all the non-Avid plugins and try to re-create the problem. Since I know how to recover from the error, it's not a show stopper. I just sent the ticket in on a whim. The tech support was thorough, and nice, but as you mentioned... it's frustrating.

It's happened in three different sessions. I'll have to see if there is a commonality. My last session has not had the problem. Right of the top of my head, the only thing that is different is that the tracks are 32 bit. 24 on the others.

Maybe this weekend I can try taking out all plugins from the folder, create a session with nothing but audio tracks and crank it up and see if it will mute internally.

Thanks for your interest Jeffro!
JBL LSR-308 Monitors
Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Worth a try to break down to 'core' plug-ins.

Also, open up Window > System Usage and keep an eye on the CPU meter when doing this.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:24 PM

I've lost the signal to the master fader before.
It's only happened to me about 3-4 times in a two year period.
When it happened I restarted Pro Tools and it solved the problem.
I did re-instantiate the master fader on a couple of occasions. So If that doesn't work first, then try closing/restarting Pro Tools.

It happened only when I was playing back/looping VSTI's for extensive amounts of time. But I do that all the time and have only experienced it 3 or 4 times in 2 years.
But it's never been a consistent problem for me even though it has happened.

Makes sense it is might be an occasional VSTi/Windows/CPU or even an ASIO4all/soundcard issue.

So yes, either re-instantiating the master and/or restarting PT usually worked for me and I was able to resume working on my session as normal.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Worth a try to break down to 'core' plug-ins.

Also, open up Window > System Usage and keep an eye on the CPU meter when doing this.
I'll do it! Thanks
JBL LSR-308 Monitors
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Additionally, it's also a good idea to use a 1024 playback buffer setting when doing "production" playback i.e., mixing, auditioning VSTi sounds etc., to avoid the CPU glitches.

Conversely, you would use a lower setting when recording (256 works fine on my laptop).
As well as make unnecessary plugins "inactive" during recording.

Then switch it back to a higher buffer section when working with plugins and you should be rockin'.