Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Need some help activating software, lost Authorization code

Hi all,

So Ive recently decided to reinstall Pro Tools 7 with the Mbox 2 mini. Ive lost all documentation, and cannot locate my authorization code.

Ive done a search on the forum, and it appears as if a new code may be sent if I registered my product.

So my questions are:

How do I know if I registered my product (Ive completely forgotten, if I did)?

...and if I did not, how else may I go about acquiring one legitimately?

I would ask these questions directly to Avid or Digidesign or whoever, but there are no email contacts that I can find for support, and they want money from me if I wanted to speak to a live person, is this really the way this company operates ??

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Need some help activating software, lost Authorization code

I am often amazed by how many don't keep track of this. At some point, we all need to take on some responsibility with this. If you can't remember stuff, write it down(I have to, so I'm not picking on anyone here). If all else fails, you might consider buying the PT8 package(which should be a bargain now that PT9 is released). Its still a step up for you, and would get you a new authorization code(PT8 adds several goodies over 7.x like Elastic Audio, Elastic Pitch, some very good VI's like BOOM, DB-33 and MiniGrand and improved playlist and track comping). Well worth a few dollars IMHO Having said all that, if you poke around, there IS free tech support via email, and if you provide them with all your personal details(like name, address, product and maybe a guess on when you bought it) they may be able to find you in their system(IF you registered). If you never registered, then they won't be much help. Another route that may work would be to buy a used Mbox Micro. Those are going cheap as anyone that buys PT9 will no longer need it(PT9 can run off the computer's own audio IO).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I am often amazed by how many don't keep track of this. At some point, we all need to take on some responsibility with this. If you can't remember stuff, write it down(I have to, so I'm not picking on anyone here). If all else fails, you might consider buying the PT8 package(which should be a bargain now that PT9 is released). Its still a step up for you, and would get you a new authorization code(PT8 adds several goodies over 7.x like Elastic Audio, Elastic Pitch, some very good VI's like BOOM, DB-33 and MiniGrand and improved playlist and track comping). Well worth a few dollars IMHO Having said all that, if you poke around, there IS free tech support via email, and if you provide them with all your personal details(like name, address, product and maybe a guess on when you bought it) they may be able to find you in their system(IF you registered). If you never registered, then they won't be much help. Another route that may work would be to buy a used Mbox Micro. Those are going cheap as anyone that buys PT9 will no longer need it(PT9 can run off the computer's own audio IO).
You figure that after having spent over 300 dollars on a piece of hardware, it should not become obsolete, or turn into a paper weight with knobs, if a piece of paper gets lost, Ive never had an experience like this. What would be wrong with automatically reissuing an authorization code if you own the hardware with the serial number printed on it? Id happily provide the serial number, or even a copy of my receipt if necessary. Would you be able to point me in the right direction in terms of email contact? Thanks for the response none the less.

Edit: And I DEFINITELY do not plan on purchasing anything further, until this has been installed successfully, if this experience is evidence of what my relationship with this company may be like in the future.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM

i just found plenty of contact info on the avid site.
http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact
Old 11-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlounge View Post
i just found plenty of contact info on the avid site.
http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact
Haha, thanks, allow me a moment to remove my head from my ass.