Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Default ilok problems while activating PT11

I have been having problems with the start up of ilok and PT11, but I was hoping that someone could shed light on the following point.
When I have the ilok key plugged into my iMac before starting ilok manager the key shows up red meaning the connected ilok is registered to a different account and I am unable to sign in with "Service Error. Press ok to end current operation. You can retry this operation". However if I open ilok manager first and then plug theilok key in to iMac the key shows up dark up as it should and I can sign in.

Is this normal or if not what should I do?

many thanks
Hev
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 AM

Default Re: ilok problems while activating PT11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hev View Post
I have been having problems with the start up of ilok and PT11, but I was hoping that someone could shed light on the following point.
When I have the ilok key plugged into my iMac before starting ilok manager the key shows up red meaning the connected ilok is registered to a different account and I am unable to sign in with "Service Error. Press ok to end current operation. You can retry this operation". However if I open ilok manager first and then plug theilok key in to iMac the key shows up dark up as it should and I can sign in.

Is this normal or if not what should I do?

many thanks
Hev
I'm a little confused by your post. Are you having a problem starting PT11 and does it put up an error message about a missing iLok? Or is it something else?

What do you mean by the iLok key showing up red before starting the ILM? If you haven't started the ILM where is it showing red? Or are you saying you open the ILM software but haven't logged in yet and it's showing red?

You are using an iLok 2 right? That's the only one you can use with PT11. You have to have the iLok plugged in when starting PT and must keep it plugged in. You don't say if you're on a Mac or PC but some PC's can shutdown USB ports in an energy saving measure - and if you are on a PC then make sure that's not happening. Or if the iLok is on a hub make sure it's a wall-wart powered hub and NOT a self-powered one from the USB stream.

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 AM

Sorry that my post was confusing.
I have a late 2013 27' iMac and I was plugging the key directly into the back of the iMac.
I haven't been able to even launch PT11 yet! As I presumed this was a problem with ilok I sent them a question on Friday. I was inpatient to get sorted out so I posted here for help.I have just got a reply which says they think it could be a problem with the version of ilok manager and i should uninstall it all and start the process again.
Any information on how to do a complete uninstall of both Pro tools 11 and Ilok manager would be appreciated. I followed a "how to uninstall ilok manager" video ,but ilok manager still appears in launchpad. So basically I could do will some reliable steps to follow to make sure I've done this properly
Many thanks
Hev
Old 06-24-2014, 03:57 AM

Red key just means that ILM has detected a key, but so far you have not signed in to the system. Once you sign in, the key changes to black and you can see what licenses are on it.

If it says that key is registered to different account, you either have a wrong key or you try to sign in to wrong account.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Red key just means that ILM has detected a key, but so far you have not signed in to the system. Once you sign in, the key changes to black and you can see what licenses are on it.

If it says that key is registered to different account, you either have a wrong key or you try to sign in to wrong account.
Thanks for that. Where I was confused was when the op wrote that the iLok showed up red before starting the ILM software.

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM

I have a late 2013 27' iMac and I was plugging the key directly into the back of the iMac.

Wonder how long it will take for someone else to pick up on this...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hev View Post
I followed a "how to uninstall ilok manager" video ,but ilok manager still appears in launchpad.

I think they will appear there since it's just a link

Just clear it off the launch pad or
Dock where ever you see it.

And then try again
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post

Wonder how long it will take for someone else to pick up on this...
Maybe it doubles as the Jumbotron at a local pro football field?

Or are you talking about the iMac and USB3 ports and that sometimes people have issues with the iLok plugged directly into a USB3 port?

QAPLA!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 PM

I love the 27" screens they are awesome
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Time for a USB hub. What do I win?