Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2003, 11:36 PM

Default NAMM 2003 - Anaheim

OK, there was a similar thread started in the TDM section, but it got so far OT with Audio Units and such, I'm gonna start one here.

This thread will pre-empt all the trade mags NAMM reports by about two months. They may even get their ideas from us. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

First up, I'm gonna check out Pignose (remember them?). They're "supposed" to have something really cool for guitar. THEN, I'll wander over to the Digi Booth and try to pry out some info about Rewire2 and the REAL shipping date for PT6.

Digital Performer for OSX is supposed to be demoed. We'll see if it really works or is "under glass".

Of course, Logic 6 will be demoed. It's also supposed to have Rewire2. No one has explained what the difference between Rewire and Rewire2 is...

Let's see how many 3rd party RTAS developers have plugins ready for OS X NOW (or even within a month).

Any other hot rumors? Anyone hear of a VST-to-RTAS shell yet? (like the VST/MAS shell)

How about a CHEAP plugin tuner? I've seen some that go for $300!!!! Gimme a break. I want one for $59.95 that works as good as a BOSS.

I always get a kick out of the "temp" help that mans (womans?) many booths - from the local modeling agencies, no doubt. At least it keeps things interesting... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It should be a 3-ring circus again...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:45 AM

Default Re: NAMM 2003 - Anaheim

El Dubleyoo,

Heya! If you think of it, could you keep an eye out for a Samson product called c*control. It's a little "control room section" that was suppossed to be out a long time ago, but it's looking like vaporware.

Have fun!
Old 01-16-2003, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lwilliam:
I always get a kick out of the "temp" help that mans (womans?) many booths - from the local modeling agencies, no doubt. At least it keeps things interesting... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My personal favorite was always the Gemini booth, however Trick percussion had the hottest girl of all time one year. I think I went back like seven times for the autographed poster. Hottie...Hottie...Hottie....Mmmmmmmm.

....and obviously she new nothing about drums/percussion/music other than she liked to watch the drummers more than any other musician live.

...I think she was saying that to get in my pants.

Sorry, I've already taken this one way OT.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:23 AM

Maybe we need a special "Girls of NAMM" thread. After all, good equipment is good equipment - right? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When are ya'll going? I'll be there in a few hours myself.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:38 AM

Check this out taken from the McDSP site:

"The announced release date for Pro Tools 6.0 and Mac OS X compatibility is February 17th 2003 . The free updates will be posted to the McDSP web site and registered users will receive an upgrade mailer."

www.mcdsp.com

-Martin
Old 01-16-2003, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vlad:
Check this out taken from the McDSP site:

"The announced release date for Pro Tools 6.0 and Mac OS X compatibility is February 17th 2003 . The free updates will be posted to the McDSP web site and registered users will receive an upgrade mailer."

www.mcdsp.com

-Martin
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Cool!! If anyone other than Digi should know..It would be Colin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lwilliam:
Anyone hear of a VST-to-RTAS shell yet? (like the VST/MAS shell)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A while back I heard that IK Media was working on one. maybe it will be ready.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 01-16-2003, 11:39 AM

Roland's got a few things coming out that I'd be interested in: a new keyboard and some sort of effects box/DAW dongle thingy....
Old 01-16-2003, 01:01 PM

Looks like a real good year for PT softsynths! The NI website says they will be unveiling something like five new products along with some major upgrades. Check it out and let us know what's coming, especially any new RTAS stuff.

Also, Ohmforce has designed part of a new ARP Odyssey look-alike softsynth called Oddity. It looks promising and the demos sound okay, but they claim that it will eventually be RTAS.
http://www.kvr-vst.com/inst.php?inst=353

Now this just looks sick, especially for Moog modular fans. Coming soon and will be available for RTAS. Wow, i wonder what it sounds like. Automation anyone???
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...ar-System.html
Old 01-16-2003, 10:39 PM

Well, the "big three" were all showing their OS X products. Digi, Emagic and MOTU.

All the plugin manufacturers I spoke with were ready to ship OS X versions so it doesn't look like there will be much of a wait once PT 6 hits the streets.

...and barring another Apple OS X update, PT 6 will probably ship within a month.

I had to talk to Propellerheads to get the lowdown on Rewire2. Apparently, Reason 2.0 has "Rewire2" so that answers the compatibility issue with "Rewire1" doesn't it? Rewire 2's big change is that it includes bi-directional midi (since there won't be OMS or any IAC busses in OS X) as well as audio.

I found it interesting that no one I talked to at Digi new anything about the Propellerheads/Digidesign announcement about Digi supporting Rewire2 sometime later this year.

I didn't have time to visit to many pro audio dealers (Manley, Avalon, etc), but will get to them soon.

Apparently, BF makes a reasonably-priced plugin tuner, but they didn't have a booth at NAMM to check it out. I'll check out IK for that adapter to see if they're working on it - or if it's moot because of OS X.

I did verify that AudioEase IS working on a stand-alone version of Altiverb. No release date yet, but they are very interested in getting it out the door. So far, what they're recommending is to get a MOTU 828 so you get Audiodesk. Then you can run Altiverb as a pseudo-standalone product - but they realize it's not the cheapest route and a stand-alone product would be much better.

One big question still remains: will Digi be supporting Audio Units as a plugin format in addition to (or eventually replace) RTAS and HTDM on OS X? That would be way cool!

I'll try to get to that Samson booth, CCash.

Hey Bassmac, good to see you today!

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.