Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Question Secrets of the Pros ??

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has seen their collection of DVDs.
I'm planning on ordering them but before spending 154$ on tutorial/tips & tricks DVD's I would like to hear your findings, if any......

Thanks in advance

Regards, Luc
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Secrets of the Pros ??

I thought they were well done and a great asset to anyone getting started with PT. These days, there are a lo of other resources that are free and should be veiwed before you drop your money. DigiTV and youtube are great sources of video tutorials.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2009, 07:47 PM

I have a couple and I thought they sucked. Didnt really teach me any thing new, spent half the time just talking about the different Digi interfaces. And the dude was wearing a freakin komono, how can you trust a guy in a komono? I guess it just depends what titles you are getting..

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Definitely check out some of the videos on the air users blog. I learn something new in every video on there.

I have a great book I could sell you. It's written for PT7, but it's essentially the same thing as 8. I, personally, am a more hands-on guy, so having a book in front of me is better than moving between two screens trying to repeat instructions. I retain the information much better when I read it, then do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-Musician.../dp/0321337034

Email me if you're interested
Old 09-19-2009, 10:04 PM

Go to Youtube, put Pro Tools in the search engine. LOTS of tips/tricks...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 09-20-2009, 01:40 AM

Hi everybody,

Thank you all for responding in this thread.

To comment on the AIR Users Blog. I visit the site almost everyday and indeed Russ is an excellent guy in showing tips and triks and I have learned a lot from him already. I also google quite a lot as well. When I started out using PT little less then a year ago I bought the 101 Official Courseware. It's a pitty the other courses are not available in the better bookstores. I do have to say I can imagine they are not doing this but going to a class to follow them is way tooooo expensive for me in the hobby sphere I'm in. You know, all the bits and pieces you can find on the internet are great but they do not really stick together, if you know what I mean. I'm more this kinda guy that wants to learn and exersize the one after the other in some sort of chronological sequence that makes some sence in feeling the tools.

Anyway, reading this thread it may not be a total waste of buying the DVD's but probably are not the resources I'm after.

Maybe any idea on the guys from Groove 3 ??
Old 09-23-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
how can you trust a guy in a komono?
you make him check his samurai at the door.

and don't give him a kirin

Old 09-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludia View Post
Maybe any idea on the guys from Groove 3 ??
The Groove 3 stuff is great!

But, any time anyone is looking for turotials, I always send them to Multi Platinum Pro Tools. They make DVD videos that include huge ProTools Sessions recorded in Nashville. Not only do you learn about ProTools, but you learn how to work digital audio on a real session. Everything from front end recording, to mixing, to editing, to mastering. I watch these DVD's like they are regular TV programing. HAHA!

People probably think that I work for MPPT, cause I swear by their DVD's, but I don't. I'm just a VERY VERY happy customer.

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 PM

There is nothing in these DVD's that you cannot learn from an attentive sales rep at Guitar Center, or by going to Youtube and inputting 'Pro Tools' in the search engine.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorj View Post
there is nothing in these dvd's that you cannot learn from an attentive sales rep at guitar center, or by going to youtube and inputting 'pro tools' in the search engine.
hahaha!!!!!!!!