Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM

Cool Babylon - My first 11R song (and first 100% solo song I've ever done)

Hey guys, this is my first post on the DUC forums. I thought I'd share my current project; I'm certainly no pro, but I'm finding that PT and the Eleven Rack are making it very easy to sound close.

Here's the song I'm currently working (clams and all):

Babylon

The whole song was done with my 11R with ERXP, Suhr Pro Series S1, Ibanez ErgoDyne Bass, and PT 8 LE. I used the DC-30 and JCM 800 models along with the Ampeg for bass. I need to re-record a couple parts (I was more concerned with getting something down before I started fiddling) and work on the drums some more, but I think it's coming along pretty good for a first effort. I'm also planning on vocals, though I don't normally sing, so we'll see how that turns out

I used Addictive Drums for all the drum parts. I was originally going to use Superior Drummer 2.0, but I found that I hate editing drums in the piano roll and much prefer the included grooves with Addictive, so re-did the whole drum track that way (you can hear both if you listen to "A Walk in the Park" on my Soundcloud page).

Enjoy!

-Russ
Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Sterling job there sir! Great playing and a Cowbell!!!!!!! I love it! Make sure you let us know when it's finished. Catchy tune bro. Great work!

Win 7, PT 9, 11 rack, superior drummer 2.2, Gibson guitars, yamaha bass, Dimebag washburn
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 09-08-2011, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Babylon - My first 11R song (and first 100% solo song I've ever done)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post on the DUC forums. I thought I'd share my current project; I'm certainly no pro, but I'm finding that PT and the Eleven Rack are making it very easy to sound close.

Enjoy!

-Russ
Yo Russ.........

This is just way cool & very different.........The opening lick sound like a U2 song or Edge part to me.......& then the song just goes off into it's own little world.......How frickin cool is that..............

Keep making these tunes & you will be a PRO in no time flat.......

This forum can be very slow & almost boring at times.....So......When someone adds something like this, I can really appreciate it........& I do.....

I'm giving you a virtual chest bump & high five right now son........

Great job.......
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Babylon - My first 11R song (and first 100% solo song I've ever done)

Great job...the tones sound great on my phone(currently travelling)...can't wait to hear the vocal line!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Strat View Post
Great job...the tones sound great on my phone(currently travelling)...can't wait to hear the vocal line!
Don't hold your breath on that I haven't really tried my hand at singing in a long time and it could sound like a cat being vivisected. And not in the good, Ted Nugenty way.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM

sounds awesome man... i did have a little trouble following some of the bass in there.. just me maybe?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza_Boogie View Post
sounds awesome man... i did have a little trouble following some of the bass in there.. just me maybe?
The mix or the crazy playing? I kinda went nuts with the bass line... I'm not a big fan of bass just for the sake of bass.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Also, I'm open to suggestions about the bass mix. I had a hard time trying to get the bass to fit well with everything else. I'm sure some parametric EQ would help, but I'm not really sure what frequencies would be best to boost/cut.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Great song!! Uplifting and spirited...a great cruising song.
More cowbell!!! (just kidding)

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman002 View Post
Great song!! Uplifting and spirited...a great cruising song.
More cowbell!!! (just kidding)

Thanks for sharing.
Christopher Walken stole my cowbell. I'd love to add more, but the jerk ran off into the dead of night with it.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words

Updated, less bassy version of the song here:

Babylon - better bass this time