Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 02:53 PM

Default Erratic behavior using Groups

Hi all good folks !

Group (for bgv) assigned letter "b"
Group (for base) asigned letter "2b"

In mix window, with AZ lit up, pressing "b" key selects/deselects the bgv group. As anticipated.

However clicking "2" then "b" keys SOMETIMES selects/deselects the base group.

Groups are both mix and edit groups

Something I'm missing here, or am I chasing a BUG?

/T
Old 09-02-2022, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Erratic behavior using Groups

Page 319 of the Reference Guide installed with Pro Tools says you should "type the Group ID letter (a-z) to automatically enable or disable the corresponding group".

You say "assigned letter" but 2b is two characters. If you mean the "name" of the group, that's different than the Group ID.

The guide doesn't talk about typing names, but typing the single letters.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 09-02-2022, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
Page 319 of the Reference Guide installed with Pro Tools says you should "type the Group ID letter (a-z) to automatically enable or disable the corresponding group".

You say "assigned letter" but 2b is two characters. If you mean the "name" of the group, that's different than the Group ID.

The guide doesn't talk about typing names, but typing the single letters.
Thx nedned

I know. I read it. The "2b" is an id, not a name. PT 2021.10 which Im using, allows for 4 lists of id's in the group creation window. So for e.g. the letter b Id's (not names) gets to be:

List1: b
List2: 2b
List3: 3b
List4: 4b

My issue is using lists 2, 3, 4 - not list 1. List 1 works just fine here, as you described.

I know the Ref don't talk about lists 2-4 but they work - but only sometimes, so I thought I am missing something.

/T
Old 09-02-2022, 03:13 PM

In such places in PT or other software I've used that you can freely tap strings (not into a text input field) where multiple things overlap, the pacing of the typing matters a lot.

For example. in PT, Windows Configs. Have to press . 1 * fast and surely enough.

On the web on address forms, there might be a Country list.
Sometimes I can quickly type C-A-N and it will search the list, 1st then 2nd then 3rd letter in sequence. However, slightly slower, it jumps from C--- countries to A--- to N--- countries.

If you might find a "way" to type your multi-character IDs that "seems to work more reliably" just try to do it just so.

Otherwise, that's an interesting implementation. So many IDs haha
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 09-03-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
In such places in PT or other software I've used that you can freely tap strings (not into a text input field) where multiple things overlap, the pacing of the typing matters a lot.

For example. in PT, Windows Configs. Have to press . 1 * fast and surely enough.

On the web on address forms, there might be a Country list.
Sometimes I can quickly type C-A-N and it will search the list, 1st then 2nd then 3rd letter in sequence. However, slightly slower, it jumps from C--- countries to A--- to N--- countries.

If you might find a "way" to type your multi-character IDs that "seems to work more reliably" just try to do it just so.

Otherwise, that's an interesting implementation. So many IDs haha

nedned

thx for your response. Tried pacing the keystorkes. But no. Tried different paces, capslock on/off.

So maybe, when PT expects a group id input, and if the first character is a number (1-4), then PT just waits for the next character. If so that seems to have been corrupted. Cuz "some time back", it worked just fine, with no particular pacing in mind.

When thinking about it, "some time back" when I last used the two-letter id's, there has been a windows update. I'm not super-sure, but if so, that might be the culprit.

And if so, qualifying as a pT bug?

No worries, I can live without it - and have an easy and simple life, with one-letter group id's in pro tools

/T
Old 09-03-2022, 12:15 PM

It is worthwhile to open a support ticket and see if they know about it. It might get addressed. It might be related to your windows update as you say. The AVID devs do not necessarily read the forum, but ostensibly someone will at least look at every support request that comes in...
Old 09-03-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
It is worthwhile to open a support ticket and see if they know about it. It might get addressed. It might be related to your windows update as you say. The AVID devs do not necessarily read the forum, but ostensibly someone will at least look at every support request that comes in...
Another thought that crossed my mind, is, that I use a Swedish keyboard layout on my PC.

And after last windows update, the "alt gr" key stopped working, (was used to get the @ by pressing "alt gr" + 2). Now, after the windows update, instead I press CTRL+ALT+2 to get the @-sign.

So there is something fishy going on here...

Ticket... yeah I just might.

Anyways, thanks alot.

/T