Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Default MBox3 Channel 01 has stopped working. Ch#2 is fine?

No sound in and out of Channel 1. Cannot get a signal in, hear nothing through the speakers or headphones. Channel 2 is fine. It was working this morning. Not now.
Routing looks right - MBox Control panel looks good...I have tried everything.
Anyone else have this problem?

iMac dual core
PTLE 8.04 and latest driver.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Re: MBox3 Channel 01 has stopped working. Ch#2 is fine?

Is the box input showing level but it's not passing it to PTools? This is what we have been going through. I experienced similar random changes in hardware behavior, working on a friend's mBox Pro 3, where although we could usually fix it by reboot or restarting all hardware it would appear again in the middle of a properly running session hours later for no reason we could determine. It's as if the communication between the box and PTools breaks out of nowhere. We did an experiment where we were recording and touched no part of the rig except for using the trackpad to enable another track and record some more, and in ten minutes the routing was wrong again.

We have not yet solved it. AVID phone support is stymied. No one can figure out why a properly configured session suddenly gets a routing issue.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Default Re: MBox3 Channel 01 has stopped working. Ch#2 is fine?

No - it does appear to be a hardware failure. What I did is unplug the MBox from my computer - left the session up and running. Nothing on the computer got touched. I took the MBox back to the place I bought it. Got another one (30 Day Return Policy). Brought the new unit back plugged in the USB cable and a guitar into Channel One and it works just fine - so I did not do anything wrong in LE or in the MBox Control panel to screw up routing or anything. What clued me in to the mechanical failure was that when I put on the headphones and boosted the input signal (on the failing unit) as high as I could get it I did see the Sig/Clip red light go on and with headphones could hear the faintest sound of my guitar and it was horribly distorted - It sounded like I was hearing a blown speaker from about a mile away. To answer your first question, the input signal never did move a bar in the meter window either in the MBox Control panel window or the LE Session window.
I began my process of troubleshooting by CALLING AVID TECH SUPPORT. Wow, this is not like the old days where I could easily get telephone support (either paid for or not). I was instructed to go online and input all my information to get a ASC Code Number. I don't know if I could have called back and given the Tech Support ASC# over the phone and get a human because Avid had just closed at 5P Pacific Time. Avid did generate a "Tech Ticket with a Case # which said I would be contacted by Avid. Is this the way it works now? Lotsa Gatekeeping going on! In any event, I did not want to have to wait to ship something back to Avid, probably have to pay for shipping and then wait for the unit to come back to me. So, I took the easier, softer way out.