Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2013, 07:47 PM

Default Pro Tools HD 9 not recognizing pcie core card

I just installed a pcie core card and accel card in my mac pro. When I boot Pro Tools it boots under Aggregate I/O instead of HD. I can't get Pro Tools to recognize the cards, and every time I try to run Digitest it says the hardware is in use by another application (nothing else is open). I can see in system profiler that the OS is recognizing the cards as being installed.

My computer is a 2008 Mac Pro dual quad-core 2.8. 4 gigs of RAM. The computer is on the Avid approved list. Running up to date version of 10.6.8. Pro Tools 9.0.6. Interfaces are 2 Apogee AD16Xs and 1 DA16X.

I've tried taking the Accel card out, moving the Core card to different pcie slots, uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools. I've checked to make sure that R35 and all of the other frequently damaged surface mount components are in tact. I've tried reseating the cards. I've double checked that my Pro Tools 9 HD license is on my installed iLok.

At this point I'm thinking I've got a bad core card? It's used, but bought from a friend who was running it successfully with Pro Tools 10 in his Mac Pro.

Help!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 9 not recognizing pcie core card

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrikaz View Post
I just installed a pcie core card and accel card in my mac pro. When I boot Pro Tools it boots under Aggregate I/O instead of HD. I can't get Pro Tools to recognize the cards, and every time I try to run Digitest it says the hardware is in use by another application (nothing else is open). I can see in system profiler that the OS is recognizing the cards as being installed.

My computer is a 2008 Mac Pro dual quad-core 2.8. 4 gigs of RAM. The computer is on the Avid approved list. Running up to date version of 10.6.8. Pro Tools 9.0.6. Interfaces are 2 Apogee AD16Xs and 1 DA16X.

I've tried taking the Accel card out, moving the Core card to different pcie slots, uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools. I've checked to make sure that R35 and all of the other frequently damaged surface mount components are in tact. I've tried reseating the cards. I've double checked that my Pro Tools 9 HD license is on my installed iLok.

At this point I'm thinking I've got a bad core card? It's used, but bought from a friend who was running it successfully with Pro Tools 10 in his Mac Pro.

Help!

Hi

Have you seen and read these posts as they seem to have the same issues and have you tried the "holding down the N key when starting up PT" and finally, look at these Avid tips :) Hope it helps or someone else with a HD system jumps in.. We have HDx and HD Native and they are working fine since 9.03-9.06 so maybe look here first:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...20Me_74269.pdf

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=302059

And

http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtop...37392&p=415057

You might already seen these posts but it doesn't hurt to start somewhere

Really hope any of these can atleast get you and the thread started,

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 PM

Take a look at Apogee's documentation as well. I had some trouble with my Rosetta800 initially, because I had wrong settings on the faceplate. It seems PT is not recognizing the interface, thus reverting to Aggregate IO. Double-check your Apogee settings and try again (and try with a single DA interface first, as this is easier to troubleshoot).
Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Question Re: Pro Tools HD 9 not recognizing pcie core card

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrikaz View Post
every time I try to run Digitest it says the hardware is in use by another application (nothing else is open).
Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Sound

What is your output device? Are you playing sound effects through the output device or some other device? What is your input device?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
Apple menu-->System Preferences-->Sound

What is your output device? Are you playing sound effects through the output device or some other device? What is your input device?
Yeah, I double checked that. Digidesign HW is an option, but I have it set to internal.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM

UPDATE:

So I uninstalled HD 9.0.6 today and installed HD 8.0.3 and voila, Pro Tools recognizes the Core card.

What gives? I can't use Pro Tools 9 with my Core card?? Anyone else had this issue?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 PM

For anyone running into this problem still, I had the same issue using an HD3 I just purchased. The HD3 came in a G5 and I moved the cards to an Early 2008 Mac Pro. (I know this Mac Pro is good with these cards, as I have a duplicate of this precise configuration.) With PT 10 HD installed, the PCIe cards were not recognized at all by DigiTest. But the cards were recognized just fine in the G5.

Using the hints from this thread, I performed a "Clean Uninstall" of PT 10 HD and then installed PT 7.4 HD. On reboot, DigiTest recognized the cards without issue and passed their tests. I then performed a "Safe Uninstall" of PT 7.4 HD, restarted, and then installed PT 10 HD on top. On reboot, the cards were all recognized and easily passed their tests once again. Then I connected an Avid Omni I/O, plugged in my iLok, and launched Pro Tools 10.3.8. All is working perfectly now and the mystery is solved.

I hope this helps!