Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2015, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Please Avid rep clarify perpetual license

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
The subscription plan can be stopped at any time.. That's the hole idea.. You pay when you need it..
Well, I seriously doubt that to be true because this would mean Avid to be lousy business men who will just give money away by chance.

Means, they NEVER will offer a reduced price for the annual subscription (compared to the monthly subscription) if the user will be eligible
to back out of this annual subscription anytime during this year. This definitely will NOT make any sense at all and no business man ever will do that.

The only thing which will make sense (although Avid kinda withhold it obviously) will be that with the monthly subscription the user will be
commited to pay for the eligibility to use Pro Tools software for only 1 month and after this month he will have the chance to leave the subscription
or to renew it by paying for another month (monthly subscription) or even another year (annual subscription).

With the annual subscription the user will be committed to pay for the eligibility to use Pro Tools software for 1 whole year. Again, after this year
he will have the chance to leave the subscription or to renew it by paying for another month (monthly subscription) or another year (annual subscription).

Neither will the user be allowed to leave the monthly subscription during this 1 month and call in the rest of his money from Avid nor will such a behavior
work during the 1 year of his annual subscription.

Of course, people can kinda leave the subscriptions but they will not get their money back they had to pay for 1 whole month or 1 whole year.
Again, this is just business. Everything else would be foolish and would not let grow anyones business at all.

Quote:
You pay when you need it..
So this is not true actually.

You will just have the option to pay for 1 whole month only (and leave it after this month again) or to pay for 1 whole year (and leave the subscription
after that year again). Itīs not an all time hop on-hop off bus at all.

And this all is related only to the new Pro Tools Software Subscription options (monthly and annually) and has NOTHING to do with the annual upgrade plan
which will be included in every perpetual PT12 license you will buy now.

Thatīs 2 different things and many people get confused by these 2 things indeed.

Cheers.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:08 AM

Default Please Avid rep clarify perpetual license

I don't see what you don't get if you have the subscription plan you pay for it every month, if you don't need it one month you stop...Slate has the same system..way to much fuzz about the different ways to use PT now.. It's all good.. Sound on Sound did a calculation over what we have payed in upgrades, compared to what the new way will cost.. It's gotten less expensive..

Last edited by thewiz; 12-25-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
I don't see what you don't get
Actually itīs not what I donīt get, itīs more what I donīt believe.

If you go to the Avid store you will find both subscriptions and the rate for the monthly subscription definitely will be more than the rate
for the annual subscription.
This is what Avid say...
- Select this option to subscribe to Pro Tools on an annual basis (provides lower monthly payments than a month-to-month subscription) -

So what I donīt believe is that there will be no commitment to pay for all the 12 months with the annual subscription when you pay a lower
rate than for the monthly one.

Just because why should the user pay more (the rate for the monthly subscription) if he can pay the lower rate for the annual subscription
WITHOUT any obligation to stay on the subscription for the whole year?

Without such an obligation he just could choose the lower (annual) rate at first and then nevertheless leave the subscription after 1 month
for example. Why should one ever choose the more expensive (monthly) rate if there will be no commitment to pay for more than 1 month =
to be able to leave the annual subscription whenever he wants.

You see, this is what I simply donīt believe. I donīt believe Avid to be so dumb finally.

And my only intention to clear this up was not to advice someone in the wrong direction so that he might think he could leave his annual
subscription at any time without any consequences and would face troubles on doing so finally.

But I have to say, actually I donīt really care because me personally have 2 perpetual licenses and I donīt need and use the subscription service.

I just canīt believe that there will be no obligations when you choose the lower rate for the annual subscription because then everybody would
choose this option and then nevertheless get out of the subscription after only 1 month or whenever he feels to.

Quote:
you pay for it every month, if you don't need it one month you stop
Yeah, of course, this will be the case if you are on the monthly subscription but I doubt if this will work with the annual subscription.
Again, why should anyone pay the more expensive rate if he would get the same conditions (get out whenever he wants) with the lower rate?
What would be the deal for Avid then actually? There simply must be a difference between those 2 options, a reason why Avid offers you a lower
rate when you subscribe for a year instead of only for one month...

Anyway, all the best to you!

Cheers.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:56 AM

Default Please Avid rep clarify perpetual license

To many words my friend.. It's the same with Slate.. I have the Mix/fx bundle and pay pr month. I have the option to pay for a year and that will same me some money..but I'm ok with the monthly rate. So I guess a lot will be happy with this with Avid too. I bought PT at version 6LE and upgraded all the way.. I like the new update plan much better..predictable and easy to understand..
But if you don't like to own it the subscription is great. Makes sense to save money if you subscribe for a year, but the monthly plan is good too. You can have it anyway you like.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:12 PM

It's not uncommon for post people to need to add a few DAWs for a month or so which makes monthly rental a perfect solution.