Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Default 001 or 002?

Well I am going to purchasing pretty soon. Ive been looking at the 002, but I thought Id check about the 001, since it is so much cheaper and stuff. What are the goods and bads of each? are they comparable? Is the 002 that much better that I shouldnt even consider the 001? just wondering
Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: 001 or 002?

Do you mean a digi002 rack or the control surface model. If you mean the control surface version you have a big gap in price, if you mean the rack theres still a pretty big gap, but more comparable.

In my opnion, if you don't have that urge to be "up with the times" the digi001 is an incredibly serviceable product. Also, the money you save buying the 001 used will allow you to buy (or at least save) for some nice external preamps. I don't know what your budget is or what you are looking to do, but I currently own a digi001, and it's been great to me. I'm actually selling it because I'm moving out of my house, but i'm sure ill miss having it as its been very good to me.

So, maybe I'm biased, but I love the digi001 and since the software is basically the same (you won't get any new updates, it's really a question of hardware.

my two cents
Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 AM

Do you mean a digi002 rack or the control surface model. If you mean the control surface version you have a big gap in price, if you mean the rack theres still a pretty big gap, but more comparable.

In my opnion, if you don't have that urge to be "up with the times" the digi001 is an incredibly serviceable product. Also, the money you save buying the 001 used will allow you to buy (or at least save) for some nice external preamps. I don't know what your budget is or what you are looking to do, but I currently own a digi001, and it's been great to me. I'm actually selling it because I'm moving out of my house, but i'm sure ill miss having it as its been very good to me.

So, maybe I'm biased, but I love the digi001 and since the software is basically the same (you won't get any new updates, it's really a question of hardware.

my two cents
Old 02-19-2005, 12:37 PM

I hear that digidesign has stopped support for the 001 as of the v6.4 update. that doesnt sound like a good thing. I guess Im willing to shell out the extra 500 bucks to get the 002 rack, and than get a control surface a little bit further down the road. the one thing I see that intrigues me is that the 001 is pci card, and the 002 is firewire. is one better than the other?
Old 02-19-2005, 02:05 PM

well, some people would say PCI is more stable, but others would say firewire is good enough to handle anything you can give it. I've never had experience with firewire so I don't know, but I can tell you PCI has been good for me... however, it isn't very portable.

On the upgrade issue...

I understand what you're saying, and it's unfortunate that digidesign can't find a way to support its products for longer periods of time (though the digi001 has been around for a while). That being said, I currently have OS 10.2.8 on my machine with pro tools 6.1.2, and while that is by no means the most recent setup there is one thing about it that is invaluable: it's stable. Find a setup that works well for you and is in your price range and you're golden.

Take care and best of luck,
matt
Old 02-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:
well, some people would say PCI is more stable, but others would say firewire is good enough to handle anything you can give it. I've never had experience with firewire so I don't know, but I can tell you PCI has been good for me... however, it isn't very portable.

On the upgrade issue...

I understand what you're saying, and it's unfortunate that digidesign can't find a way to support its products for longer periods of time (though the digi001 has been around for a while). That being said, I currently have OS 10.2.8 on my machine with pro tools 6.1.2, and while that is by no means the most recent setup there is one thing about it that is invaluable: it's stable. Find a setup that works well for you and is in your price range and you're golden.

Take care and best of luck,
matt

I'm usually on the bleeding edge of things but I still think the 001 is the best piece of hardware Digi has developed for PTLE. The transfer speeds are much faster than the firewire interface and you can steal these units now on ebay. If you are going with a laptop solution, then the 002 or Mbox would be the choice.
If you want something for great tracking on a desktop, I'd get the 001, a Cranesong HEDD 192 for A/D and D/A and you will get pro quality sound far above the 002 for a little more money, but alot less money than an HD system. You will still need a G4 Powermac or Windows PC with PCI slots.

Either way you will be happy.

Allen
Old 02-19-2005, 10:29 PM

what is this cranesong thing you are speaking of? and what does that do for the 001 that is so great? just curious, I havent heard about it
Old 02-20-2005, 09:35 PM

To the original question,

I use the 001, apogee converters and a Control 24 in my home\professional studio.

The 001, although out of date, still drives Ptools perfectly, enough for you for a couple of years to get into it and then make up your mind how the best upgrade path will talor your requirements.

There are an awfull amount of 001's still out there producing fantastic results, with macs getting faster and faster the gap to TDM has been bridged substantially in many areas, I believe that the meer'e 001 has some TDM aspects beaten hands down, not to mention the price saved you can put into mics, pres etc.... but this arguement is flogging a dead horse and will never be settled.

Bottom line, 002 has higher sample rates, perhaps better converters, but if you are going to be using this stuff for a few years, spend the time and money on studio equipment, get the outboard and settle for the 001.

You will always have the nice hardware to take to the next step in your recording career if you stick at it.

Good luck.