Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2002, 02:39 PM

Default Moving 001 to new G4

I've used Digi001 and ProTools LE 5.1.1 for over a year on a G4. I've just bought a new G4 for my studio and I want to move the PCI card, DIgi001 box and Protools software (application, system files and datafiles) to the new G4 by copying all the software to a CD (from the old G4) and loading it up on the new G4. Can do? Or do I have to do a clean install
Old 07-23-2002, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Moving 001 to new G4

It's much safer to reinstall, unless you're a mac expert. You need to really know what you're doing to do it this way. When I got my new G4, I connected the 2 computers via appletalk and copied all my software, but you need to go into the system folder and get all the prefs and extensions and control panels. as well as all the DAE stuff. I ended up only having to reinstall my OMS and my SoftSample Cell, but it was a lot of work.
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 07-23-2002, 03:02 PM

Build it from scratch! And set at least a day or two aside for the work. If you go the other way, you should have the rest of the week off.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:03 PM

just a suggestion, but did you try connecting them via ethernet or fw (target disk mode) and copying the system drive over onto the new machine?

Or better yet, take the old system drive, remove it, install as the master in the new machine, and make the new machines hard drive a slave to your old one? (confusing?)

Basically use the newr mac's drive as a second drive, and put the old drive in it's place...
Old 07-23-2002, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kris whitten:
Or better yet, take the old system drive, remove it, install as the master in the new machine, and make the new machines hard drive a slave to your old one? (confusing?)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not as simple as that.
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2002, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Cottrell:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by kris whitten:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not as simple as that.
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually it is just that simple. Simply remove both ATA bus 1 master drives from each computer and swap them. the new machine will hav ethe old machines OS and apps on it now.

You can also via ethernet/appletalk copy the apps and preferences over. In fact, you can copy the entire hard drive to the new computer if you wish, and have a mirror image of the old machine. Copy Agent is superb for doing this, as it will copy all hidden folders and files that sometimes do not get copied via Mac OS.

If you have not been experiencing any problems with your current PT set-up, this would be an excellent and fast way to get your current set-up on to your new machine.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:48 PM

Will this also copy over challenge/response codes and/or other authorizations, Digi plugin auths for Maxim, for instance?

Fear of having to get all new copy protection codes for the dozens of copy protected software I have is one thing holding me back - and considering CPU upgrades instead. $$$ is the other [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lwilliam:
Will this also copy over challenge/response codes and/or other authorizations, Digi plugin auths for Maxim, for instance?

Fear of having to get all new copy protection codes for the dozens of copy protected software I have is one thing holding me back - and considering CPU upgrades instead. $$$ is the other [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Copy Agent will copy all the necessary info. I have personally done it between two macs via ethernet. Copied the PT DAE and OMS files over, opened PT on the new machine(after attaching the interface of course, and it opened with the same settings as the old machine. Took only a few minutes.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:44 PM

Thanks Where,

I don't even need to reply to the poster who said it isn't that simple!!!

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2002, 09:12 AM

Except that a G4/400 and a g4/800 may have potentially different hard disk drivers/firmware. If you have an old hard disk driver installed on your 400 and plop it into newer firmware... You never know.

I agree it is quite possible, but I still say unless you're used to troubleshooting, it's better to do a clean install.

Whatever you do, and this goes without saying, make sure you do a full backup of your existing drive before you move anything.
http://www.1011productions.com