Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2022, 11:57 AM

Default Virtual Guitar Amp?

Right now, when recording my guitar, I'm plugging my Marshall Direct Out into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which then connects to my computer/Pro Tools. Is there a way to plug my guitar directly into the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and get "virtual guitar amps" so that I can vary my sound with the Pro Tools software rather than needing a different amp? If so, how do I do this and are there any costs involved on top of the Pro Tools software?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
Old 03-04-2022, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Virtual Guitar Amp?

Shure. Just plug your guitar into one of the two front inputs (they are combined mic and instrument inputs), after having turned down the input first. You should open the Focusrite Control software that came with your interface and set the input to 'INST'.

PT doesn't come with amp simulations as such, but there are things like Sansamp and flangers and choruses that you can try. Then, on the web, there are countless producers of amp sim software and demos you can try. Good luck.

Added: If you can give a general idea of the type of music and guitar sound you're into, I'm shure people will give good suggestions on where to start. I'm shure there are free plugins out there too.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 03-04-2022 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:42 PM

Hey Matt,

There are many guitar amp modeling plug-ins out there that you can use with Pro Tools and some of them offer a free version, so there would be no cost to you when you are getting started recording this way.

Take a look at Amplitube CS which is the free version and gives you a few different amps, cabinets and effects to play around with.

To use them, you will plug your guitar straight into one of the instrument inputs on your Focusrite interface. You will have to set you levels on the interface to get the best results. Typically you will want your signal to stay just under the clipping indicator when playing your loudest on the guitar.

Next install the plug-in. Once installed, then start Pro Tools.

When you create a session in Pro Tools, add a mono audio track to the project and set the track input to the input where you plugged your guitar into. Next click on the first Insert slot for the track and choose the Amplitube plug-in from the list. Now when you press the input monitor button on the track, you will hear your guitar processed through the amp modeling plug-in.

Note: You need the standard version of Pro Tools to use third-party plug-in. If you are using the discontinued First version, then you will need to upgrade to a paid version.

System Details
Old 03-04-2022, 01:24 PM

Thanks! To answer the first question, I'm looking to music in the vain of AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc.

I'll give Amplitube a try!
Old 03-04-2022, 01:39 PM

If you use Pro Tools First from Focusrite it comes with Eleven Lite, a stripped down Guitar Amp Plugin. In the Full Pro Tools you get Eleven Full Version - with lots of Amp, Cabs for Guitars and Bass.

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 16 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs Sonoma 14.4.1 / Windows 11
Wavelab 11.2 Elements

Music was my first love - shine on