Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 06:02 AM

Default Annoying High Pitch Whine Inside Comp.. HELP!!

So. I've read a lot about people having a problem with a high pitch whine using a lot of different hardware. Let me please explain what is happening to me so hopefully someone can help me resolve this... I'm about to go crazy.

So every time I run the Digi 002 audio engine, whether I open into a pro tools project or I run the Digi 002 from inside another program, I get this annoying whining sound. I would have normally attributed it to bad shielding but i unplugged all my speakers, and found out it was coming from inside the computer. It would occasionally stop whining for a split second if i clicked on certain things. I dont know if it is the hard drive (sound like thats where it comes from), or the power supply, or something else.... but it certainly isnt a cable problem. It only happens when i try to run the digi 002 audio engine. and disappers when i quit protools or select another asio output. it is a constant sine wave that is like a hum but high pitched.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Annoying High Pitch Whine Inside Comp.. HELP!!

I have exactly the same problem with Mbox1 and Windows XP home. Perhaps some one can shed some light. I have installed the most recent Digidesign Audio drivers which did not help at all.

Thanks,
Greig
Old 02-25-2006, 11:05 AM

I just read the first post again, my noise comes out of my speakers and only out of the main output. Not out of headphones.

Thanks,
Greig
Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 PM

Like I said, I can completely unhook every wire from the Digi 002, and have only Firewire plugged in, and when the Audio Engine starts running, low and behold that ringing Whine starts up. Not from speakers but more from the processor or hard Drive. I have been recording for about 6 years, and no other hardware or software has made my computer do this. And this is happening on a Fresh install of my OS and everything. Completely fresh Install. And I'm pretty sure the whine comes through the speakers when they are plugged in to when the whining starts. But it's not a cable interference issue or anything like that.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:47 PM

And the same gear and cables at my other studio on my other PC did not have this problem.

I'm losing my mind...

Oh and its not that all audio run through the digi is having this problem... it only starts when i try to start pro tools, or use the digi as a device in another program.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:47 AM

If it's something vibrating, you could try re-seating all the cards, plugs, connections, etc. Tighten screws, clean the fans, heat sinks and vents (mine get filthy), put the case on a folded towel or something to absorb vibrations. If it's a hard drive, you may need to replace it.

Is your CPU fan set to "auto speed"? The Digi audio engine could be stressing the CPU enough to increase the fan speed, maybe causing the whine. You may be able to adjust it manually and find a setting that keeps it cool enough and is quieter. Just don't set it too low!!!

You could try the "click and clack" method for locating noises. Use a short length of tube, stick one end in your ear and move the other end around in the case until you locate the sound. Good luck! Those little noises drive me nuts!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:23 AM

I have had this identical problem for some time. I have not resolved it, but I am fairly certain this "whine" is coming from the hard drives. I have one 7200rpm on the OS and two 10,000rpm raptors for the audio and sample drives.

I have swapped every cable etc. and have found no relief. I have a Mackie Big Knob that I have switched the output from +4db to -10db and it has bandaided the problem to make it not drive me crazy, but it is still there.

Interesting enough I have a Dell laptop (doesn't have ProTools on it) that when I put headphones in the speaker out jack, I hear the same type of crazy computer noise.

This noise WILL make it on to your tracks as well.

Amazing that I have thousands of dollars invested in Vintech and Avalon pres, high end condensors, apogee convertors and it is all for nothing with this nonsense.

My computer is an Allenstein. AMD/ASUS/Western Digital Drives etc.

Man I would love to figure this out.

Ross
Old 02-26-2006, 08:08 PM

It isn't anything rattling... i placed a blanket over my computer and although i can hear it coming from inside the computer, i can also hear it coming out of my monitors.

it happens any time that digi has to think, for a lack of a better understanding. for example, if i am routing my computer audio from my Audigy through the ALT SRC- it sounds clean as hell. BUT if i go into, for example midi settings, and enable a midi input from the protools board, the high frequency ring starts. or if i try to use the digi, the second it starts using the hardware, the ring starts. open protools, and the riniging starts near the end of the bar loading- when the hardware is getting accessed. and sometimes for a half a second if i'm opening a dialog box in protools or something it will cut out and come back on. through the speakers, and from inside the box. its the most bizarre thing.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM

It is my processor. It doesn't even sound like it's working harder.... it's like an electronic super high pitched ring... like that ear piercing high pitch sound that old tvs make when theres a lot of white on the screen (any one know what i mean?).

I have heard of a fix with nap for macs, but I have a PC with a pentium 4 2.4gz. Sony Vaio.

cant ANYONE help? it's really delaying recording by DAYS..... please help.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:59 AM

i just bought a mbox 2 a week ago. doing the exact thing you guys are talking about. perhaps digidesign could chime in here.... ? maybe?