Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Default Transport won't turn on...

Every now and then my Transport refuses to turn on, usually after a bunch of unplugging, re-plugging, doing a dance, etc. it'll turn on but today it is not. I was having some issues with my network this morning seemingly triggered by a quick brown out we had. And in getting things back going I was rebooting everything including the Transport. But now it's been 30 minutes of trying stuff and it just won't turn on and I'm at my wits end.

Anybody else experienced this before? Any ideas, before I go take this back to the store?

Thanks,
JR
Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Transport won't turn on...

I believe these problems are router related.

My transport once did the same thing (turned on but didn't connect with Eucontrol), now one of my Mc Mix does the same thing but the Transport is fine.

Every time I restart my router I have to restart it twice.

I'm going to do some research soon and try and find a good router/modem.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM

I thought it might be something like that. The weird thing in my situation is that even when the Transport is off it is still showing activity on the router. When I turn my Mix off however the activity led on the router turns off as you'd expect. I've unplugged and re-plugged in my router numerous times now and still no dice on the Transport. My feeling is is that until I can get the Transport to show no activity on the router while it's off I'm not going to solve my problem. Unfortunate thing is outside of hitting the reset button on my router (which I've done many times) I don't know what to do.

Ugh. Avid, any help?

Thanks,
JR
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Well got it back on this morning. It is definitely a router, ip address issue of sorts. I'm no network pro but it really seemed like the ip addresses needed to be flushed out and reset. So I left my router unplugged all night as I thought I remembered something about ip addresses taking some time to reset themselves, then...

- booted up my computer without the router
- shut down the computer
- turned on the router with only the computer plugged into it
- booted up the computer
- plugged in both artist controllers (Mix/Transport)
- Transport was still showing activity on the router without it being on, so I unplugged the Transport's power supply and plugged back in, this time no activity on the router
- turned on the Mix and Transport and voila it came back

Hopefully that will help somebody out. And thank you for Xill for the tip on the router issue.

Avid, why on earth is the power somehow linked into the ip addresses?? Even without an ethernet cable plugged into my Transport I could not turn it on. That seems very very odd to me.

JR
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
Well got it back on this morning. It is definitely a router, ip address issue of sorts. I'm no network pro but it really seemed like the ip addresses needed to be flushed out and reset. So I left my router unplugged all night as I thought I remembered something about ip addresses taking some time to reset themselves, then...

- shut down the computer
- booted up the computer
- Transport was still showing activity on the router without it being on, so I unplugged the Transport's power supply and plugged back in, this time no activity on the router

Hopefully that will help somebody out. And thank you for Xill for the tip on the router issue.

Avid, why on earth is the power somehow linked into the ip addresses?? Even without an ethernet cable plugged into my Transport I could not turn it on. That seems very very odd to me.

JR
Seems pretty odd to me too, and while I remember freezes from the early days of Artist Series, a power cycle would always refresh things. We don't see this happening now....Let me check with a firmware designer to see if your description of the issue prompts any quick response.

Best,
JC
Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM

When I first got my transport. I would always have to unplug it and plug it back in, then push the button to get it to turn on. Since the 2.6.2 upgrade I have not had to do that.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post

- shut down the computer
- booted up the computer

JR
I have almost the exact same problem.
The worse thing is I have to restart my iMac after I restart the router to get it to receive the new ip adresses info.

I've been working for the last 2 days without one of my Mc Mix because I can't restart my computer at the moment. My internet stopped working, so I restarted the router, to find out now the Mc Mix isn't working.

It is as if there is a conflict on mine between the dsl connection and the Mc Mix connection. Strangely, my other Mc Mix, transport and control are always fine; But there was a time when it was the Transport having the problem.

Restarting the router helps, but my guess is that it's a firmware bug. Unless we are both unlucky and got the same crap modem.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM

It's definitively a router problem.
After restarting the router 3-4 times from the router menu all pieces of the console come online. No need to restart the computer, no need to power off and on the Mc Mix/transport.

I believe the router has a problem handing more than 4 connections, with or without the switch. I'll buy a router with 8 inputs next week.