Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 10:14 AM

Default protools crashes while opening

my setup has been working great for the last year, and now all the sudden everytime i click on protools it starts to open and then just crashes. the loading window opens, and starts loading plugins. then a message will pop up, but i can't read it because everything just closes in half a second. i have never had a problem and im not sure what to do. im on a 12 inch powerbook. osx 10.3 panther. any ideas?
Old 11-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: protools crashes while opening

I'm having a very similar problem. Running PT LE 7.1 on Windows XP with Pentium D 3Ghz and 2GB of RAM. Everything's been running fine for the past year until around a month ago, when PT would sometimes take a long long time to load plug-ins, and then after a bit it simply locked up every time and would never open. I temporarily fixed the problem by reinstalling a few plugs and reinstalling Pro Tools, but lo and behold this last week the problem returned in full force. If anyone has any suggestions they would be much appreciated.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 AM

Remove any third party plug-ins to narrow the problem down.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:47 AM

Do you have iTunes installed on you machine? I had this same issue and found it to be that iTunes was checked in the DAE settings to be a "supported application" to run thru. Once I removed that option everythign worked great again. I'm not at my setup right now so I can't give you all the details, but I'll repost tonight if I can remember too.

Note that you do NOT have to remove iTunes from your machine...just uncheck it from you supported list within the DAE settings.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I had this same issue and found it to be that iTunes was checked in the DAE settings to be a "supported application" to run thru. Once I removed that option everythign worked great again. I'm not at my setup right now so I can't give you all the details, but I'll repost tonight if I can remember too
I am experiencing the same problem and would like to know where to locate the iTunes check box for the supported applications. Where would I find the DAE settings for that? When you get a chance the info is sure appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 AM

Hello,

I'm having this same problem using LE 6.4 on a Mac running OS 10.3.9 - it constantly quits when opening, and it's driving me mad....I basically can't use ProTools at all.

I think the iTunes problem mentioned might be relevant, as straight after installing ProTools, iTunes stopped working too (though after reinstalling it is now OK)

SO.....
Where is the option to stop iTunes being a supported DAE application?!!!
I've looked everywhere but can't find it.....

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 AM

Aha!!!

I think I found it... try this:

Look in the ProTools/Digidesign folder in your Applications, you should find Digidesign CoreAudio Setup in there. Open it (quit all apps first), and you get a window with a Supported Applications option. From there you can remove iTunes from the list.

I've done it and SO FAR it has solved the quitting problem

Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:16 AM

Hmmm...OK, yesterday I thought I'd solved it but today I'm back to square one....PT quitting all the time.

Anyone got any ideas?
Anyone out there?

LE 6.4 on a Mac running OS 10.3.9
Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 AM

Have you tried moving all of the third party plugs from your plug ins folder to your desktop? (just to be safe put them all in a new folder to keep em together) once you've done this load pro tools, if it opens and works then one of the third party plugs is causing this problem. The only way to work out which is to add them one at a time and re open pt each time.

Try trashing the prefs and verifying your hd as instructed in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Are you running itunes in the bkgrnd whil loading pt? if so try loading pt only.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 PM

Yep, tried all that and all the things suggested in the sticky.

I'm not running iTunes in the background.

As someone else posted, this problem seems to fix itself & then re-appear....but it's so bad that it makes Protools completely unusable.

I'm wondering if upgrading either the Mac OS or Protools itself will help, but don't want to spend the money if I just end up with the same problem.

Any ideas would be VERY appreciated.